Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,582   Online: 1097

Shooter
    Medium Format

Umbrella clamp (DIY?) for rain protection.

I can't really find anything suitable online so I'm thinking about a DIY project to make a clamp that I can attach to my tripod that will attach to the handle of an umbrella so that I can shoot in the rain. Wondering if anyone has seen any descriptions of projects like this online before or has any ideas about useful parts to fabricate it from. Browsing home depot's website it's hard to find suitable pieces.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What you need is a waterproof darkcloth - as used by Large Format photographers - a brolly would move around in any wind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you could find something out of the studio lighting gizmos, like a super-clamp to attach to a tripod leg, etc. My deep fear of doing this is one must promise to keep one hand on the rig at all times, as with an umbrella stuck up in the air, it surely wouldn't take much of a wind gust to put your gear on the ground.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An assistant.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No fabrication required. A Manfrotto Magic Arm will do the job. It has clamps at both ends and is infinitely adjustable. Very well made and not overly expensive. But Mr. Lindan's suggestion is much better.
    Cheers
    Morry Katz - Lethbridge, Canada

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hmm. unfortunately both an assistant and a manfrotto magic arm are a little out of my budget. Not sure a waterproof dark cloth would work for my purposes either. Hadn't thought about the wind catching it, that's definitely something to consider. maybe a clamp that is attached to a length of pvc an then the umbrella can be slid into it without actually being attached to the tripod. the tricky part would be finding a part that sits between the clamp and the pvc that can rotate so that the umbrella can sit somewhat vertically.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Golf umbrella with a straight handle. Or dollar store brollies and cut the curved part of the handle off. Put a bolt thru the pvc tube so the handle hits bottom on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe something from the science field. They've got many kinds of holders. Test tube?
    For an umbrella maybe a dolls umbrella.
    Getting back to the photographic field, there were umbrella holders to hold brollys to a light stand once upon a time.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin