Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 664

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also use I currently use a Kirk BH-3 ballhead for my MF cameras.
    I use a Kirk BH-1 ballhead and an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead with my 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 view cameras and they both work perfectly.

I highly recommend both the Kirk and Arca-Swiss ballheads.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I also use the B/M 3221 wilderness legs and the geared 410 Pan/Tilt head. Got'em on Ebay together. The head is really great for getting horizons spot on. I'm sure there are better heads but the price really goes up from here. I was going to get the 3030 head but couldn't pass up this deal. The head exceeded all my expectations.
    Good luck,
    The Rat

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use the Arca Swiss B1 with QR plate for both my Nikon 35mm cameras and my Mamiya 7II, and it works great. Love the ballhead.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    another one for the 3047/3021 combo

mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bogen Manfrotto tripod with a pan head, and bubble scale. Living on the ocean, I found quite quickly that the horizon must be absolutely straight or you might as well throw the image away.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been using a NPC head for some time. It is not a "ball and socket" design ... to tell the truth, I have *no* idea how it does work, but it is secure and smooth... with provisions for "pre-setting" tension to minimize the danger of the falling camera when adjusting the thing.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a Uniloc ball head with all my cameras, both monorail, field, and smaller formats. I find it much easier to level the head thal to level the entire tripod - especially in a country with hardly any flat ground.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi there,

Thanks everyone. It's really helpful putting tripod ball-head or pan-and-tilt in context with camera and user. Am I correct in thinking that 35mm and medium format users with ballheads use these for flexibilty during composition, rather than geared or slower movements?

One thing I've noticed is that the Bogen don't exist in England - I think it is marketed as Manfrotto in England. I can't find any store that deals with the JR tripod head system although having browsed through a warehouse internet store, the Kirk system seems to be highly lauded. The Arca Swiss - this must be in a class of its own. It's a ballhead to make every viking envious, but it's way out of my league ;-)

One of my worse fears about ballheads is loosening the slack, and then finding the whole camera set up crashes down at 90 degrees, risking damage to something, or snipping off a finger or two. Does this happen to anyone with larger medium format or large format cameras?

I do like oversized levers which scream out: "hello - I'm a lever - turn me". I used a cheap ballhead briefly and found that I had to use my nose to support the camera. Once with a 35mm camera, it poked out a contact lens because of its sudden movement when the tension was released - that wasn't too bad. But the same experience with a large format .....?!!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith
    Hi there,
    One of my worse fears about ballheads is loosening the slack, and then finding the whole camera set up crashes down at 90 degrees, risking damage to something, or snipping off a finger or two. Does this happen to anyone with larger medium format or large format cameras?
    <snip>
    I do like oversized levers which scream out: "hello - I'm a lever - turn me". I used a cheap ballhead briefly and found that I had to use my nose to support the camera. Once with a 35mm camera, it poked out a contact lens because of its sudden movement when the tension was released - that wasn't too bad. But the same experience with a large format .....?!!
    Doesn't happen with mine. There's a picture (d*gital, I'm afraid) of the head holding 8kg of Technika III 5x7" and Xenar 300mm/4.5 to a Stabil Macro tripod here:http://www.bruraholo.no/images/DSCN0090.JPG .
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I prefer 3-way pan/tilt heads for most purposes. The Gitzo low profile heads are very solid. I use a G1570M (the magnesium alloy version) up to 11x14", but if you're shooting 4x5", you can use the next size down (probably G1370M). I bought mine from www.robertwhite.co.uk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin