Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,512   Online: 1034

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a massive Bogen/Manfrotto 3038 ballhead mounted on my very old and beat-up Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 tripod (AKA 055 tripod). It has that big lever that says, "Turn me." But it's a pretty good head for the price and pretty stable given its size. I haven't used it much in the last few years, having bought a Gitzo 1340 tripod. I use the Gitzo 1377M magnesium ballhead on this tripod. I've changed out the platform to add a Bogen/Manfrotto quick release adapter that takes the big hex plate. I've used the hex plates for about 20 years and, although they are huge, I like them a lot. I've never been a big fan of the pan/tilt heads.

Images
    I've used the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 tripod/3047 pan-tilt head for 35mm, MF, and 4x5...it works beautifully and is solidly built. One quirk, though. It does seem to get heavier each year!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm using a wooden tripod with a 3047 head for 8x10. I've used the 3047 for years with a 4x5 but just started using it with an 8x10. It still works good but every time I pick the 8x10 up the 3047 head makes me very nervous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Bogen 3036 tripod with a 3047 head for large format work and most medium format shooting. My lightweight 35mm tripod/head is a Bogen 3001 with a 3025 3-way head. Somewhere, I have a Bogen 3021 with a 3047 head, but I haven't used it in a while.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use the Ries J100 tripod with the J200 head and love it. Ries tripods are expensive but I was one the side of some sandstone last week and my camera didn't flinch. My last tripod would shudder any time I looked over a ravine.

Cheers,

James

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks again guys.

I'm trying to spot any patterns in the choices of ball-head or pan & tilt choices people make. How confounding!

Wooden tripods have a certain panache, although if stability is a compromise with the modern ball heads............I feel nervous with a ball-head although there's plenty of positives about these.

Maybe photographers who don't like pan & tilt because they are inconvenient. I daresay I'll settle for one - maybe the Manfrotto type with the hex plate as mentioned above......until I can afford one like Ole's

Cheers,

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ballheads like the Arca/Swiss B1 and the Kirk BH1 are fully pan and tilt capable. These ballheads also support very heavy cameras with no problems. In addition, they have an outstanding adapter plate/quick release system. The downside is that they are quite expensive.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Bogan/Manfrotto 329 pan tilt head with quick release plate. It is very strong and holds my 8x10 very solidly.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh! I forgot to mention initially that I have an ancient wooden, collapsible tripod that my dad used in the 40's but may well date from an even earlier epoch. It isn't 'collectible' by any means and was most likely a very common choice in its' era, but it is very, very cool and still totally functional. I now use it with a thoroughly annonymous pan/tilt head for our wooden 4x5 pinhole camera. On the grounds of aesthetics alone, the two look terrific together.
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin