Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,081   Online: 1239

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Tripod head - which do you use?

Ok, I've found out the hard way. It's impossible screwing a monorail straight onto a tripod without struggling forever just to get it to sit right. Although I can correct the horizontal and shift the front standard, it still isn't easy so I'm looking for a tripod head.

I've seen a lot of people use ball-heads, but for something like a monorail, it must cost a fortune. Be interested to see what the forum users make do with. I quite like pan-and-tilt heads with smaller cameras,. and feel tempted to get one for the monorail.

No idea what's out there on the market. Suggestions? Recommendations?

Images
    I've got a Ries JR tripod head on my Berlenach Legs. It works as a pan tilt together with the center colum on the legs.
    hi!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Bmac,

I couldn't find an image of the Ries JR it on your ebay store. Is there any other name it might be known by overseas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bogen Manfrotto makes some very good ball heads and pan heads. I have a ball head on one tripod that I use with the Anba 4x5 and a pan head for the heavy duty tripod for the monorail Calumet 45NX. They both take the same quick release plate, a hexagon about 2 1/2 inches wide. I simply bought enough plates to leave one on any camera that gets used with a tripod. It saves a bunch of time setting up, flip a lever, line up the plate with the hole and drop it on. All the MF and 35mm cameras get the same treatment.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Gary. The Bogen/Manfrotto heads are excellent. I use the 3047 pan-tilt head with a quick release plate and keep another plate on my P67 so I just need the one tripod (a 3021 I think it is). If I had the funds though, the large geared Bogen head is really sweet. You can release it to make large adjustments, and then engage it to make smaller, and very precise adjustments with the gear drive. But...it's that time of year to pay school and property taxes....no toys for me!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a Manfrotto 488RC4 ball head. it holds up my 8x10 tachihara with heavy lenses filmholders and darkcloth just fine.. And it didnt burn a hole in my wallet.
    but a tilt-pan head maybe more practicle for a big bulky monorail..

Images
    I recommend the pan tilt head. my ball head is a bit troublesome and damned irritating at times. But that could just be me.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Bogen/Manfrotto users have it(at least for me)I bring my Bogen/Manfrotto tripod with 3030 pan-tilt head and never have any problems.I always bring two plates(as I always bring two cameras)screw them in before I even go out the door.Then I can switch(especially if using two different films)with ease.Go to your nearest store and play around with the displays-see what's right for you and have fun.

Jim
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One more for the Bogen 3047 pan/tilt head on a 3021 tripod...works great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I currently use a Kirk BH-3 for my Mamiya 7II and Hasselblad 503cw. I have used a BH-1 with my 4x5 mono rail and it worked perfectly. I highly recommend them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin