Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,970   Online: 823

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

custom background stand

I've got this idea for a background stand, somewhat like what Ruth Bernhard had in her studio, that would enable curtains to be hung as a backdrop in a semicircle. Anyone have any ideas how to make a curtain rod that would yield a 10-12' diameter semicircle? I'm thinking of getting electrical conduit pipe and bending it, but I'm not sure how that would work. All thoughts are appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestion, but they're too short. I need something about twice that size to make a hemi-circle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rather than a one piece rod, make it from straight conduit with angled fittings like 22 1/2 degree. It could be a hexagon, octagon or any other gon you want. Any corners would not be very noticeable. Could do the same thing with 1/2" pvc pipe. 3' sections of pipe would give about an 8' diameter, 4' ~ 11'. Cheap too.
    Couple of bucks for 12' pipe3-4 22 1/2 degree fittings. Shouldn't break a ten dollar bill. If you need a circle it might get close to a twenty though.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are benders for forming greenhouses from electrical conduit which may work for you.
    Here are two sources we're familiar with for ordering seeds and other garden stuff;

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=hoop
    http://www.territorialseed.com/product/12571/s

Barry
    Last edited by bdial; 01-21-2011 at 04:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Barry- I think that's just the ticket for what I want to do. Either that or John's solution with the angled fittings and PVC pipe.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I used 3/8" solid curtain rod to make a smaller curved backdrop support in an alcove. The rod can easily be bent by hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A conduit bender will set you back about $30-40 depending on the size. But you will gain control of your angles and achieve a 'professional look'

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin