Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,660   Online: 814

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    You get what you pay for. I have some of each brand and found that a high quality Hoya is similar to a high quality B+W which are both superior to a lower-price Tiffen. I have just never found the Tiffen to be the same build quality as the other, even if the results are similar.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    YMMV I have had great luck with the Hoya HMC filters and a Nikon CPL.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I go along with the B+W or Heliopan. Better glass and if my memory serves me right the mounts are (or at least were) brass.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've used a mix of Hoya and B&W. No major difference so far. I've had more issues with the lower end Hoyas and older B&Ws - either less coating or no coating I imagine - but the newer, higher end filters from each have been excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used all 3 and had good luck with all of them!

Jeff

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're willing to do some research on available sizes and wait, there are bargains out there on camera brand(e.g., Nikon, Canon, Minolta, etc)filters--all of them first-rate glass with brass jam-proof rings. I snagged a couple NOS Mamiya 77mm polarizers for peanuts recently after wincing at the cost of the primo brands. Look for bigger than you normally use and snag some step-down rings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy 82mm filters when the price is right, and use adapters.
    It's an amazing feeling to buy a B+W Polarizer for $ 4.25 !
    Or a 100mm filter for $ 2.99 !

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I go for used Hoya MC, B+W MRC, and Nikon from KEH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can only agree with the best optically being B+W MRC and Heliopan but the best deal is Hoya HMC. One thing I have noticed over the years is I have worn the coating off of a few B+W filters but the Hoyas are a little more durable. I have never ruined one. I don't know the kind of glass they use, but I would have to assume it is harder than the Schott glass. It is worth it to get coated filters though even if you just get the single coated Calumet or Tiffens. The coating will have more effect on your images than better glass without it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I needed some filters quick and the only yellow and red I could find locally were Tiffens for $25/each. The images from them are really sharp, I mean printed to 11x14 not just eyeballed/scanned, so honestly I think you can buy some Tiffens and use them for $25 rather than spending $60-90 on more expensive brands.

I thought I'd find tons in bargain bins at stores but no, not a single one!

There is one red Hoya 77mm filter on eBay right now, one! For BIN $40... My Mamiya RB67 takes 77mm for all, perhaps the 67mm for the 645 lenses will be easier to find, I don't know. Tiffen is there for you at under $30/filter new...

Edit: lots of expensive Tiffens on eBay too, it isn't the cheapest place for everything I guess!
    Last edited by hpulley; 01-26-2011 at 04:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin