Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,483   Online: 987

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Time for some new filters - Tiffen, Hoya or B+W?

I smashed my only decent Red filter this morning, so its time to get some new ones. Its probably also time to get a range of colours, as just using Red is probably a bit limiting.

Anyhow, since i prefer glass screw on's (as opposed to Cokin/Lee type square filters), I would like to know if anyone should suggest steering away from any of the three brands - Tiffen, Hoya or B+W.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always been happy with B+W and Rodenstock and I also have a few from Heliopan. They are all similar and made from the same Schott glass. I don't know as much about Tiffen filters except I think they are made differently. I do know that Tiffen filters are alot cheaper than the german companies, which is nice. Tiffen is big in the motion picture filter industry and one of the best photographic craftsmen on earth, John Sexton, uses them for his photography. So they must be pretty good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&W with HRC coating. No use having a coated lens if you stick an uncoated piece of glass in front of it.
    Last edited by phaedrus; 01-21-2011 at 10:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use B+W MRC filters for the most part while shooting still. I've used Tiffen square filters when shooting 16mm motion and didn't have a problem with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMO Hoya HMC filters are the best over all balance of quality and cost. I doubt one could tell the difference in results between them and B+W filters.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Kodak Wratten Gelatins. Ive never enjoyed a wider range of filters at such a high quality. They store easy, and can be found around for just a dollar or two. Not as easy as screw filters, but the benefits outweigh that con.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I highly recommend the B&W filters. They're the only ones I use. If you pay for quality lenses, put quality filters in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The quality of the filter rings and threads on the couple of B&W filters I have makes them stand out. As far as the glass and coatings are concerned, I've never been able to tell the difference between the three.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for your input guys. Unfortunately B+W filters are hideously expensive here (just like everything else. A medium red, 67mm is around $90). I now need to weigh up whether it is worth the extra expense or not.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Thanks for your input guys. Unfortunately B+W filters are hideously expensive here (just like everything else. A medium red, 67mm is around $90). I now need to weigh up whether it is worth the extra expense or not.
    I shoot lenses with small filter sizes (39mm and 46mm) so most of the filters I use are a good deal cheaper than in larger sizes. Thus the premium for a B+W isn't that bad. In fact, I just looked, and Tiffen or Hoya don't even a full line up at some of those sizes. I'm sure that influenced my decisions.

You can also buy them used. A lot of color filters for B&W film go for cheap since the digi guys don't use them anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin