Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,451   Online: 959

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

recreating a victorian photo studio

I've got this project idea and I'd like to re-create the backdrops used in many victorian era photo studios, specifically the curtain-and-tieback thing. Getting the curtain is no problem - I can get velvet opaque curtains at Wal-Mart for cheap. What I'm having a hard time finding are the rope-and-tassel things. I can find plenty of small, cheap tiebacks with tassels, but what I'm looking for is something more substantial - anyone have any ideas on where I could find rope with tassels where the rope is at least 1" thick and the tassels are somewhere in the 20-24" length and 6" diameter range?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a nice project! I'm not quite sure, but I'm supposing a theater supply company would carry something - - had you checked?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Most bigger fabric/drapery supply stores carry that sort of stuff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was looking at theater supply company websites, but it seems like most of them don't show this stuff on their site, and certainly don't price it - they want you to call them for a custom quote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Google "rope and tassel tiebacks" you'll find many sources.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    fabric place, joanne fabrics and places like that carry these sort of items ..
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a great idea.

I've been thinking about the application of analog photography in a couple of reproduction Victorian studio's that I've been to in the UK. They get a lot of kids (and adults) passing though and get them posed against the backgrounds in appropriate costumes only to ruin it all by shooting digital, and inkjet prints.

With a bit of thought and a small darkroom area they could watch Ilford or Adox direct positive paper prints being developed, for safety they could be shielded from chemistry ect, but they'd get a real silver gelatin print.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last edited by bdial; 01-25-2011 at 01:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can also use cheap panel mural wallpaper with shallow DOF for a period trompe-l'œil effect.

For b&w, I've used nice but horrid colored fabric(usually dirt cheap) draped over background stands. Play with side lighting and you have a whole range of texture. Aside from the burlesque artists, the background set-up here is worth a look and shows what I'm talking about:

http://xritephoto.com/custom_page.as...gn=brian_smith

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The tassels I'm looking for are massive - about half a human head or bigger, not including the fringe. I just bought a Bogardus CDV that has what I'm thinking of in it - when it arrives, I'll scan it in and post it so you can see what I'm talking about. I've also thought about the mural wallpaper - I'm tempted to paint my own of the US Capitol as a backdrop for certain shots.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin