Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,177   Online: 871

Shooter
    Medium Format

Protecting camera equipment from fungus, haze, & mold in a humid climate

Hello:
    I use to live in a dry climate and now I don't; I live in a very humid climate.
    When I use to buy camera equipment on eBay I always remember a disclaimer commonly used: "No fungus, haze, or mold, etc..."
    I always thought, glad I don't have to worry about that, I live in a dry climate. Well that has changed.
    How do I prevent my equipment from getting that fungus, mold, haze or whatnot?
    A couple of details:
    I have large format with two lenses
    2 medium formats with 3 lenses
    1 35mm with 1 lens.
    All these lenses are fixed. No zoom lenses.
    Sterlite container w/ desiccants?
    any help would be appreciated, thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I put my equipment in dry boxes. They are simple plastic tubs with fungus-preventing somethingorother in them (they need to be changed every 6 months.) So far I've been okay.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You can get a dehumidifier for your house to keep it below 50% humidity.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you live somewhere really humid, get an electric dry cabinet. I've been storing all my lenses and camera bodies in one for the last few years and it seems to work very well.

Ian

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Living in one of the wettest, warmest bits of the UK, fungus in lenses is the bane of my life. I store lenses that I value in zip-seal plastic bags with dessicant and camera/lens combinations in sealed freezer boxes with dessicant. I also learned long ago how to take lenses apart for occasional cleaning (Pentax lenses are quite straightforward with a few simple tools) as sending them to a pro repairman once a year was getting pricey. Some will be planning replies about colimation, clean rooms, etc. as they read this, but I've never had any subsequent problem with a lens I've cleaned - indeed some cleaned by alleged professionals in the past still bore smears and dust that I'd have avoided. You do well to avoid zooms, as mentioned in the OP, as their structure inevitably draws air (and spores) in and out of the body as they're zoomed, and they're a pain to dismantle.
    Good luck!
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use a Pelican case and rechargeable dessicants. Oh that reminds me, time for a recharge and stow everything I have out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at a "goldenrod" dehumidifier or equivalent. They are commonly used in gun safes/cabinets. They dehumidify by raising the temp in an enclosed space such as a cabinet by a few degrees. An incandescent light bulb will also work.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin