Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,508   Online: 1289

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Ferrania sells their products in Italy under the Ferrania brand, they only seem to produce one line of products, the Solaris colour negative. Solaris is a product name, the film is branded "Ferrania" in Italy.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    I received an answer from Ferrania today. They state they don't produce slide film any more since many years, therefore if the film seen on sale was made by Ferrania, it should be of a quite old production.

They confirmed they are still producing negative colour film, future plans about this production will depend on market circumstances.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but now it becomes interesting to know the expiry date of this "made in Italy" slide material sold in Turkey. If the expiry date is in the future, that should mean there's another colour film maker in Italy or - maybe - the film is coated elsewhere and only some subsequent parts of the production (such as cutting and putting in canisters) are performed in Italy. That would maybe grant the "made in Italy" writing on the label.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I will not go more than 300 meters outside of home until the heat reaches 30 degrees and I have a Leica , Ian. I used every kind of Ilford products and its not me. I love darker tonal photography and films like
    plus x or tri x. But this summer would be interesting , may be I buy Leicina Super 8 and make 4000 photographs until I develop 10 dollar kodak tri x roll. This is the most sensible thing I can do with photographic gears , 40 times cheaper and 40 times better than toyotas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mustafa, a few predictions for you.

You won't buy a Leicina.

If you buy a Leicina, you'll discover that ISO 400 Tri X is too fast for most of the situations in which you try to use the camera.

If you buy a Leicina, you'll discover that making good quality prints large enough to see from a Super 8 frame is nearly impossible, even with Plus X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Iancogito ,

If I am not wrong Saxons and Normans immigrated to England from Germany and France. So the source of materials is widened . If you hate Germans now , you could produce your own british made emulsions , films and papers. Tank , tripod , bag and the camera dont effect final results too much but a Cooke XV does. If I were you , I forget to investing secondary things but the lenses. May be you can scan it with british made Crossfield drum scanner and print with british made pigment inks.
    Excellent advice.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To the OP,

I think you will have to do a color separation process, as there are no British-made color films TMK. Probably the easiest way to do this while remaining 100 percent analog would be the four color screen printing process, which uses four halftone color separations (three primaries and one black). However, the best you could likely get unless you were a quite experienced screen printer would be slightly above the quality of a color newspaper photo. Even getting magazine quality resolution by hand with this process is incredibly technically demanding, as you are working with screens that have very high mesh counts. This means that you not only have to be much more precise in your registration, but also faster, as the ink dries in the mesh very quickly with very fine-meshed screens. The amount of waste is also much higher as a result, and thus the whole process ends up being more expensive.

That would be a way of doing it by hand fairly simply. You could also use other forms of analog printing, including a handful of actual photographic methods, but they are far more complicated.

If you scan, then doing this is no problem, and you only need to shoot three negs for each shot instead of four like with the four color screen printing process.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you 2F/2F.

There is one and cheapest solution. May be you can enlarge your bw pictures with british made photocopier powders. I thinked about that solution to enlarge my 6x17 anamorphic camera positives and it seems to me sensible.

I think digesting the tastes of british made lenses is a wonderful idea. You can rent a Cooke XVa from a dealer. Or you can rent a arri 16 mm with cooke cinema lenses and live your lifes best experience.

If you are talking about british made cameras , there are handmade panorama camera manufacturers which uses hand cut aluminum or mdf. They are cheap and widely accepted cameras.
    I think moderator Ole knows who produces them.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    To the OP,

I think you will have to do a color separation process, as there are no British-made color films TMK. Probably the easiest way to do this while remaining 100 percent analog would be the four color screen printing process, which uses four halftone color separations (three primaries and one black). However, the best you could likely get unless you were a quite experienced screen printer would be slightly above the quality of a color newspaper photo. Even getting magazine quality resolution by hand with this process is incredibly technically demanding, as you are working with screens that have very high mesh counts. This means that you not only have to be much more precise in your registration, but also faster, as the ink dries in the mesh very quickly with very fine-meshed screens. The amount of waste is also much higher as a result, and thus the whole process ends up being more expensive.

That would be a way of doing it by hand fairly simply. You could also use other forms of analog printing, including a handful of actual photographic methods, but they are far more complicated.

If you scan, then doing this is no problem, and you only need to shoot three negs for each shot instead of four like with the four color screen printing process.
    1:1, are you aware of http://trichromie.free.fr/trichromie/ ? If you search there, you'll find information about making the three negs in sequence, about one shot three-color cameras, and about printing them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Before Ilford's management buyout some years ago, Ilford Imaging UK Ltd, as the company was then known, did have at least one colour negative film made for them by Ferrania in Italy. It was called Ilford Ilfocolor 100 Plus. It seemed to be made for certain markets only, not the UK. I did however manage to buy a few rolls, some of which are still sitting in my freezer with an expiry date of October 2002. So my guess, and that's all it can be, is that the Ilfochrome slide film spotted in Turkey is of the same era. Today Harman in the UK can only use the Ilford trade mark for black & white materials. The only other possibility, is that the Ilfochrome film was made by Ferrania for the Ilford concern in Switzerland which makes Ilforchrome paper & inkjet paper. But as Ferrania have confirmed they don't manufacture slide films anymore, that seems extremely unlikely.

Going further back into the past, in the 70's & 80's, when Ilford had ceased to manufacture its own colour films, it still wished to have a range of colour films on offer. It therefore sold print & slide films rebranded as Ilford. First they were supplied from the Konica factory, at which time Ilford ran a processing service for the ISO 100 slide film, and then later they came from Agfa. Some of the latter were even sold in 120 rollfilm format. I bought many, and looking at the edge markings, although marked Ilford, it is not difficult to work out which factory they originated from.

As to the original post, if you want to shoot on UK made colour film, then realistically, unless you want to use hopelessly outdated materials, then it would be a case of hunting down some UK Kodak made films. I think they were made here until sometime in the 1990's, or maybe a little bit earlier. Most of the range were made here at one time, until gradually they were replaced by versions made in factories overseas. Before that, you are going back to the long ago days of the 50's & 60's, when Ilford made its own colour slide & print films here, and in the 50's you also had things like Dufaycolor & Pakolor, and even Woolworths sold a colour print film under the Standard brand, but probably made elsewhere. The last UK made Ilford colour films were made in the late 60's/maybe early 70's for the TrifCa brand. This was a deal where you paid an all-in price for printing & developing (a triple photo - one big, two small) & got a replacement TrifCa film. But even if you could find one, Ilford's process was slightly different to the C22 & Agfa processes which were in use then. And the negatives had a distinct yellow mask, rather than the orange or brown we are used to today. To further confuse matters, some of the TrifCa films (in the UK) were supplied by GAF (formerly Ansco) & were C22 process. Best of luck and don't forget to use a Weston exposure meter!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin