Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,414   Online: 777

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

British made camera equipment

Hi, at the moment I am undertaking a photographic project in which i aim to use nothing but British made eqipment. At the moment I have managed to source cameras (Ensign and Ilford,) tripod (Benbo), bag (billingham), enlarger (paterson). However, when it comes to British made colour film, I am finding it almost impossible to source any. Im pretty sure none is manufactured here today, but can anyone think of film that was made in the Uk? I know ilford still make b+w film but i need colour

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford used to make a 35mm slide film called Ilfochrome
    M.P.P ( Micro precision Products) made Microflex120 TLRs andlarge format cameras,also enlargers.
    A.G.I ( Aeronautical and General Instruments ) made Agiflex and Agifold cameras http://www.pratty.org.uk/cameras/agiflex.html
    Kershaw & Co., later called Rank Kershaw made cameras and lenses
    Reid and Sigrist made 35mm Leica clone 35mm range finder cameras
    Ross & Co. made Cameras, binoculars and photographic lenses
    Taylor Taylor and Hobson made lenses
    Ilford made cameras
    The list is too long to relate.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-14-2011 at 07:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's still an Ilford E6 slide film, well at least here in Turkey, I saw some in Istanbul over the summer, but it said made in Italy on the box so will be Ferrania distributed by Ilford.

Ben, I still have an unprocessed roll of E6 Ilfochrome which was rebadged Sakura/Konica E6 film which was never as good as Fuji/Kodak/Agfa.

Any B&W work should be printed with a Welsh Gnome enlarger

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iancognito View Post
    ...I know ilford still make b+w film but i need colour
    I realise it's not directly what you're after, but assuming the subject matter is fairly static you could always try taking three seperate exposures on Ilford B&W film using Red, Green and Blue filters?

I guess subsequently getting the registration right on each of the negatives to print them optically could be interesting - as would the source of colour paper made in Britain to print them on?

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Iancognito View Post
    I know ilford still make b+w film but i need colour
    B/W film and photo tints?
    Johnsons of Hendon made them and I imagine a search on ePay would turn up a set sooner or later. That technique would be contemporary with most of the equipment mentioned.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    B/W film and photo tints?
    Johnsons of Hendon made them and I imagine a search on ePay would turn up a set sooner or later. That technique would be contemporary with most of the equipment mentioned.
    Steve
    PhotoTecnology also made them, they are now part of Paterson and I'm not sure if they are still made. Inkjet cartridge refills (made in the UK) are a good source of colour dyes as well.

I still have a set of Barfen dyes as well.

This is what Steve mean

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Iancogito ,

If I am not wrong Saxons and Normans immigrated to England from Germany and France. So the source of materials is widened . If you hate Germans now , you could produce your own british made emulsions , films and papers. Tank , tripod , bag and the camera dont effect final results too much but a Cooke XV does. If I were you , I forget to investing secondary things but the lenses. May be you can scan it with british made Crossfield drum scanner and print with british made pigment inks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's still an Ilford E6 slide film, well at least here in Turkey, I saw some in Istanbul over the summer, but it said made in Italy on the box so will be Ferrania distributed by Ilford.

Ben, I still have an unprocessed roll of E6 Ilfochrome which was rebadged Sakura/Konica E6 film which was never as good as Fuji/Kodak/Agfa.

Any B&W work should be printed with a Welsh Gnome enlarger

Ian
    I've never used Ilfochrome Ian, in those days I used to use Agfa Professional 50S.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did Kodak Limited make colour film in England at one time?

EDIT:

This link isn't totally current, but there is a contact link on it:

http://www.kodak.com/UK/en/corp/manu...0.1.4.16&lc=en
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Kodak Ltd once made a full range of films in the UK, colour & B&W but I think they only coat colour paper now for the photographic market.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin