Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,930   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does anybody own a Giottos MG 8240B tripod?

I've been wanting a carbon fiber tripod for a while and Adorama has the Giottos MG 8240B tripod for only $249. I checked out BH photo and they have it for $110 more. So I'm sitting on the fence and I'm hoping some helpful APUGer will help me decide. Is the tripod a decent one? I've had a Bogen 3021 for long time and it's getting heavy as I get older.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't but I'm also in the market for a new tripod so I'm following this thread

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I put the order in for it

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    I don't but I'm also in the market for a new tripod so I'm following this thread
    I'll probably get it by the end of next week, so I'll post my first impressions on this thread. I'll probably will post usage in the field with my Mamiya RZ.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an aluminum Giottos, an MT 9371, and am happy with it. Very well built.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I thought about the Giottos tripods when I was looking for a carbon fiber tripod to replace my old Manfrotto carbon-fiber. I ended up getting an Induro for several reasons - I'm mostly shooting large format (sometimes VERY large) and wanted a tripod that had a fixed center column. I also liked the leg lock style (twist locks, instead of lever locks), and the Induro had anti-rotation legs which makes it faster and easier to set up and collapse. Also, the center column is grooved so it will not rotate when raising or lowering the head. Many of those features may also be on Giottos tripods, I don't know - but the ability to flip the center column horizontally, while nice to have for small cameras, was very worrisome when thinking about stability for bigger/heavier cameras.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Can't say anything about the 8240 tripod, but I do have an MTL-8361 that I use with a 5x4 camera. Just a few comments about this particular model:

• The lever locks on the legs are easy to operate and haven't let me down yet.
    • With the stubby column, getting close to the ground for a low level shot is real easy.
    • In use, it is reasonably rigid, although there is some flex in the legs - This can be taken up by hanging a weight from the centre column hook.
    • The "three-way head" built in to the top of the legs is rather pointless with MF/LF and lacks rigidity for anything other than a lightweight 35mm camera. On balance, probably not worth the extra weight.
    • At 27" closed length, it is a bugbear to fly with, but being fairly light, a shoulder strap makes it reasonably easy to carry (just be carefull on crowded metro trains )

For the price I paid, I think it was good value for money. That said, the 8240 is quite a bit smaller on the diameter of the legs - I would be concerned about flex and rigidity with a heavy MF camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then "three-way-head" is really there to provide a tilting center column. Its usefulness as an actual 3 way head is limited. The 82 and 92 have a standard column-no tilt. Lighter, simpler.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Paul C. I hope I could use the Giottos MG 8240B with my Mamiya RZ. The tripod has a 7lb load limit. The weight of the tripod of only 2 lbs is sure appealing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I'll probably get it by the end of next week, so I'll post my first impressions on this thread. I'll probably will post usage in the field with my Mamiya RZ.
    So did you get it yet :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Not yet

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    So did you get it yet :-)
    I'm gonna get Monday. It's being shipped from New Jersey and I live in Cali. I'll report to to APUG when I get it. Hope it's good n sturdy. It has a capacity of about 6.5 lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin