Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,565   Online: 1249

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wotalegend View Post
    You surprise me, Kevin. I have lived in Melbourne most of my life and I don't know of any big camera show twice a year.

Edit (one hour later): Ah, I now realise that you are talking about those swapfest type events that they hold at Box Hill Town Hall at sparrow-f**t on Sunday mornings. My mindset on reading the initial post was trade-type shows. Sorry, I am not qualified to comment because I have never been to one, mostly for aforementioned reason - guess I'm not sufficiently motivated. Prior to my membership of APUG I didn't even know that such events existed.
    I too didn't know about it until relatively recently. They used to be held in Camberwell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    I too didn't know about it until relatively recently. They used to be held in Camberwell.
    Ah yes, they did used to be held in Camberwell, an even worse location (for me) and still way too early on a Sunday morning. I guess that not going to them has helped my financial situation, in a back-handed sort of way.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willrea View Post
    There is a yearly one near here in Puyallup and now that I look at the fairgrounds website it looks like it is gone this year. Since I move up here two years ago I've went and it was bigger than the one I went to in Hayward, CA. It had at least what seemed like a few hundred visitors and 40 or so vendors.
    Ha! I haven't made it to the Puyallup one... and despite growing up in Castro Valley, I didn't know about the Hayward one at all.

I plan on going out to Puyallup this year. Any idea if the early admission is worth while? I'm guessing most of the vendors are selling over ebay prices anyway, etc but I'm still tempted to go early.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I also went to the Tyson's show this past weekend. While it was mostly junk, and pretty thin on the ground at that, there were bargains to be had if you were looking for what they were selling. There was an (older) 16x20 dry mount press in good condition for $75, and a big Majestic tripod and head for $50.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Is this the way it is elsewhere around the U.S., in your experience?
    When I moved to Dallas in 1989, the Dallas/Ft. Worth area had six (count'em 6) shows a year - every two months. They were huge and hundreds of people attended. I've bought a little of everything over the years.

However, in the last several years, a big decline. We're down to two shows a year and the last one (In January) was just pitiful. Each time I go to one, I say it's going to be the last, but this time I think I meant it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    Ha! I haven't made it to the Puyallup one... and despite growing up in Castro Valley, I didn't know about the Hayward one at all.

I plan on going out to Puyallup this year. Any idea if the early admission is worth while? I'm guessing most of the vendors are selling over ebay prices anyway, etc but I'm still tempted to go early.
    The Puyallup camera show is going to be in Renton this year- a change of venue because the fairgrounds are too big for them anymore.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's no denying that online auction and local listing sites have thinned old school photo swap meets. Here in Toronto, there are still big spring/fall shows with 2 smaller meets annually. Attendance has gradually declined but they're still worth doing for short-dated film and odds-n-ends. It's also cheap entertainment. Still, I find quality and price on gear to be askew at most tables, though I usually visit known sellers first, scan the rest, and reserve the remaining time looking for offbeat stuff like old mugshots or books. Overall, the institution seems healthier here, thanks to a large, active photo community in and around Toronto.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our local guy, Sam Vinegar, puts on ten shows this year. You can see the schedule at http://www.photorama.com/
    I agree the shows are nothing like they were in the 80's and 90's, but there are still bargains to be had. Also they used to be two day and are now one day. Unlike eBay and other auction sites, you can see and touch what you're considering buying. I would, though, like to see shows like the 'old' days, but I guess the interest just isn't there.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    The Puyallup camera show is going to be in Renton this year- a change of venue because the fairgrounds are too big for them anymore.
    Thanks for letting us know! I was worried is was gone. Last year it still took up most of the room, although last year was a decline from the year before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post

I've never done the early admission. I've only bought a few things from when I go. I usually get some good stuff from the pile of free stuff though :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin