Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,926   Online: 796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

My first U.S. camera show in 15 years -- bummer

I've been living outside the U.S. since 1995 until I moved back last summer; this past weekend, I went to the camera show in Tysons Corner, VA -- my first U.S. show since '95.

What a change! Whereas you could formerly count on several hundred attendees, with perhaps 60 sellers, this show had maybe 10 sellers and only perhaps 30 attendees during the hours I was there. Not much of significant interest at the show; even the sellers were telling each other that there was little to see.

I asked the guy selling tickets if this was the way things are now, and he said yes, that eB*y had created such a popular online sales forum that bricks-and-mortar shows were dying.

Is this the way it is elsewhere around the U.S., in your experience? I'd hate to think that it's true.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I live a mile from Tysons and didn't hear about the show. Maybe advertising could have been better. I'm desperate for a replacement for my Nikkormat, and would have gladly gone had I known.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm closeby also but I think I only remember getting notified via KEH mailing list.

From what I hear this is def the trend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here in Melbourne, Australia, there is a big camera show twice a year and you can hardly move through the crowds and have to fight your way into many of the stands. I don't know what it was like years ago, as my first show was only about 2 years ago, but if the recent shows are any indication, the film world is alive and well here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I went to the Tysons show and while it compares to the couple I've been to in the last few years, it was the smallest one yet. If it gets any smaller, it'll just disappear, and that'll be a shame. I enjoy looking through piles of odd stuff, talking to people, and bargaining a bit. Hopefully, the next show in the spring/summer will be a little bigger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went to my first camera show here in Illinois and was very disappointed I was so excited to with my analog friends but it was a waste of my $6 admission fee. There were less than 20 sellers with a bunch of tripods and very few cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a yearly one near here in Puyallup and now that I look at the fairgrounds website it looks like it is gone this year. Since I move up here two years ago I've went and it was bigger than the one I went to in Hayward, CA. It had at least what seemed like a few hundred visitors and 40 or so vendors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are two different shows each year in the Vancouver area. They get a pretty good turnout of customers, and some interesting vendors (and some that I wonder at).

What I've liked most about them recently is that I've seen a real upsurge in younger people attending, and a lot of them seem to buy stuff.

They are mostly film based, although I'm sure some are buying lenses to put on digital bodies.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    Here in Melbourne, Australia, there is a big camera show twice a year and you can hardly move through the crowds and have to fight your way into many of the stands. I don't know what it was like years ago, as my first show was only about 2 years ago, but if the recent shows are any indication, the film world is alive and well here.
    You surprise me, Kevin. I have lived in Melbourne most of my life and I don't know of any big camera show twice a year.

Edit (one hour later): Ah, I now realise that you are talking about those swapfest type events that they hold at Box Hill Town Hall at sparrow-f**t on Sunday mornings. My mindset on reading the initial post was trade-type shows. Sorry, I am not qualified to comment because I have never been to one, mostly for aforementioned reason - guess I'm not sufficiently motivated. Prior to my membership of APUG I didn't even know that such events existed.
    Last edited by wotalegend; 03-01-2011 at 10:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more careful thought later

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    Here in Melbourne, Australia, there is a big camera show twice a year and you can hardly move through the crowds and have to fight your way into many of the stands. ..
    In Adelaide, South Oz, there is only one show a year, but the same applies as in Melbourne.

BTW, the next Adelaide show is due in May, whooppie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin