Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,140   Online: 796

Shooter
    Multi Format

Field Photography "Manual"

The electricians have a nice little spiral bound pocketbook, perhaps 70 sheets, 3x5 inches just full of tables, formulas and hints. (its actually called "Ugly's Handbook").

Machinists have the machinist handbook, and the pocket version
    Seems like there's a book of "stuff" like that, formulas, light trig, weights and measures available at the big box stores.

So, is there a small pocket guide for photography? Bellows factor, exposure info, Filter factors, perhaps the back cover inside at 18% grey,,, a two inch round circle on one page to calculate magnification with a view camera... Stuff like that?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kodak Pocket Photoguide.

This can be found used from Amazon and other sellers.

http://www.amazon.com/KODAK-Pocket-P...p/0879858079#_

The Kodak Professional Photoguide is larger and much more extensive, but still portable. This does a better job of answering the questions you cited than the smaller pocket version.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Professi.../dp/0879857986

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian.

That looks like a good guide even if I have a little trouble with the Amazon product description.

"Best of all, it's put together by the most trusted name in the business: Kodak"

I am trying to remember when I lost trust. Was it when they discontinued making any printing paper, especially the one I had learned to love, or was it when they started packaging ten sheets of 7x17 film in a steamer trunk?

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow,,, I think I've got one of the really old black cover ones from the 60's,,, forgot all about it. Amazon's cost of 105 USD is a bit more than I'll go however. I think I'll take a look at one next time I'm at Powell's bookstore in Portland, OR and think about putting something together myself.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Midwest Photo has the pocket guide for $10 new. I got one Monday.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Wow,,, I think I've got one of the really old black cover ones from the 60's,,, forgot all about it. Amazon's cost of 105 USD is a bit more than I'll go however. I think I'll take a look at one next time I'm at Powell's bookstore in Portland, OR and think about putting something together myself.
    Good morning, Keith;

Amazon is really amazing.

One book for a niche photography application had an original publisher's list price of $27.00. When I called them, I was redirected to another company who revealed that the owner of the organization that published the book had some health problems and just recently had to close down the organization. As part of the dispersal of the company assets, Amazon wound up with a couple of boxes of the books. Amazon does have the book listed in their offerings, at One Hundred Forty-Six Dollars each. Repeating, that is $146.00 each. In talking also with the author, no, he is not benefiting from any royalty in the greatly enhanced increase in the price.

A multiplication factor of greater than 5 times the original publisher's list price for any book published in the last 20 years is just pure greed. I did not buy. And, the distasteful flavor of that incident has meant that I do not visit Amazon.com.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a silver covered one living in my gear bag since the early 70's. I still pop it out and look at it on occasion. My daughters have found it and stopped asking a lot of questions.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ralph, don't be so coy. Name names! The book and the seller, please.

I ask because used book sellers who offer books on Amazon often ask prices that seem quite unreasonable. I just followed Ian C's link, none of the sellers is Amazon itself and all of the prices asked are completely absurd.

Oh, and by the way, whenever I shop for a book, CD, or DVD I check what's offered on Amazon. There are often bargains and because Amazon polices their vendors' shipping charges there's never, um, shipping shock. If an item is offered only at prices higher than I want to pay I don't buy it.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I know people like to bash Kodak, but they made the best little research booklets .
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got one coming from Oregon via eBay for $13. Free shipping.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin