Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,346   Online: 1139

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    We've been talking with Kodak for a few weeks now trying to work something out. But there are so may layers of non decision makers that it seems like it will take forever to get it arranged.
    Well, thanks for trying. Maybe someday you'll be selling it all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    John, as long as you're monitoring this thread--do you think you could get Forte to come up with a high speed sheet film? I'm thinking of something like the old ASA 1000 Royal-X Pan or one of the modern 3200 speed films (which are really 800-1000 speed films) that only comes in 35mm and 120. This would be appealing to people doing handheld 4x5" and 5x7" work, ULF in the field, or available light portraiture, where speed is a big advantage, and grain isn't so much of an issue. There really isn't any film like this in the market in sheet sizes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was out of computer commission during the last year I couldn't get ahold of, nor get replies from J&C. When I finally did get ahold of someone the reply was "get an internet connection or we can't help you". Being where there were no phone lines or power lines & the mail had to come in 25 miles by snowmobile made the choice easy. Freestye as well as Photo Warehouse in Oxnard were both much easier to deal with. I purchased film from them both, not J&C. Doing business with someone who doesn't want to be bothered with personal contact is something I don't like regardless of their support & ad dollars for a website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    John, as long as you're monitoring this thread--do you think you could get Forte to come up with a high speed sheet film? I'm thinking of something like the old ASA 1000 Royal-X Pan or one of the modern 3200 speed films (which are really 800-1000 speed films) that only comes in 35mm and 120. This would be appealing to people doing handheld 4x5" and 5x7" work, ULF in the field, or available light portraiture, where speed is a big advantage, and grain isn't so much of an issue. There really isn't any film like this in the market in sheet sizes.
    I'd strongly second that suggestion. I can get iso3200 polaroid print film, but there are no high-speed alternatives for 4x5. Check the archives of the large format site or graflex.org and you'll see that every few weeks, someone is either asking for high-speed LF film for exactly the reasons above, or on a wild goose chase for the best way to push film to those speeds.

If, as a test, you could arrange to have someone make a run of good quality iso3200 b&w film you could chop down to 4x5, I'd bet it would sell so quickly that it would justify making it a permanent inventory item.

-KwM-

Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    I'd strongly second that suggestion. I can get iso3200 polaroid print film, but there are no high-speed alternatives for 4x5. Check the archives of the large format site or graflex.org and you'll see that every few weeks, someone is either asking for high-speed LF film for exactly the reasons above, or on a wild goose chase for the best way to push film to those speeds.

If, as a test, you could arrange to have someone make a run of good quality iso3200 b&w filme you could chop down to 4x5, I'd bet it would sell so quickly that it would justify making it a permanent inventory item.

-KwM-
    I will look into the possibility and let you know. Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As to the sponsorship issue, Freestyle is now a corporate sponsor of APUG as well...

joe

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have purchased from both J&C and Freestyle with excellent products and service from both. I prefer J&C because it is a small enterprise that primarily offers films and supplies to a specialty market - us. It seems that they are always looking for new products. Freestyle does the same to a degree, but has a more mainstream product line. I really appreciate the fact that Freestyle e-mails a confirmation of receipt of order and a shipper's tracking number that allows me to monitor the shipping progress (or lack of progress).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    J&C emailed me to let me know when my last order shipped; this was something new for them in my experience. No tracking number, but it is progress and their customer service is getting better every time I deal with them.

FreeStyle also has great customer service.

Personally, I'm buying any film I can get from J&C, and anything that J&C doesn't carry I get from FreeStyle. For now, that includes a lot of accessories as well as some more "mainstream" films. I appreciate both companies, and I'm glad they provide the service and products that they do.

Given the nosedive I've sensed in customer service and packaging from B&H, I'm glad there are such capable alternatives available.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle has been around for a long time. I bought bargain priced paper and bulk 35mm film from Freestyle in the 60's from their incredibly ugly ads in Popular Photography. They made it possible for poor students to get into photography on a shoestring. Now they have a slick catalog and a vast website.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have been a Freestyle customer for 30/35 years or so. A friend and I used to shop their old store on Western Ave. in Los Angeles (Hollywood). If you think their Pop. Photo. ads were ugly you should have seen their small shop.
    Great for browsing and as you say, great prices too. Howard Tanger

Quote Originally Posted by gma
    Freestyle has been around for a long time. I bought bargain priced paper and bulk 35mm film from Freestyle in the 60's from their incredibly ugly ads in Popular Photography. They made it possible for poor students to get into photography on a shoestring. Now they have a slick catalog and a vast website.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin