Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,600   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    If you like Sekonic and want a true 1 degree spot meter, look into the 508 or slightly pricier(and newer)558. Since film and developing aren't getting any cheaper, I'm not a fan of antique meters, whatever their historical reputation for accuracy, that require battery hacks or tack-on "spot" attachments limited to 10-15 degrees coverage.
    In the circumstances the OP's talking about there's a need for a fast, almost fool proof meter. Simplicity is the key, it's not about vintage or I'd have said get a meter like my late 1930's AVO meter, which happens to be accurate

Sure some Gossen Luna Pro's/Lunasix's are older than others but they are built like Leica's to last, and the official battery converter is not a hack. No they aren't spotmeters but the 7°/15° attachment is very useful at times.

I mainly use Spotmeters (I have 3) but I also use Gossen Luna Pro's (I have 2), both types give me the same exposure settings, but that's because I know how to interpret their readings.

In a fast working situation where light's variable I'd far rather use a meter like the Luna Pro, a Weston V or Euromaster, or equivalent, that's why I've always had a meter like these for the past 35+ years.

Ian

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In the circumstances the OP's talking about there's a need for a fast, almost fool proof meter. Simplicity is the key, it's not about vintage or I'd have said get a meter like my late 1930's AVO meter, which happens to be accurate

Sure some Gossen Luna Pro's/Lunasix's are older than others but they are built like Leica's to last, and the official battery converter is not a hack. No they aren't spotmeters but the 7°/15° attachment is very useful at times.

I mainly use Spotmeters (I have 3) but I also use Gossen Luna Pro's (I have 2), both types give me the same exposure settings, but that's because I know how to interpret their readings.

In a fast working situation where light's variable I'd far rather use a meter like the Luna Pro, a Weston V or Euromaster, or equivalent, that's why I've always had a meter like these for the past 35+ years.

Ian
    The Sekonic 508/558/758 are straightforward as any meter I've used. A simpler, incident-only Sekonic is the 308(about as simple as it gets), which I use as often as the 558 when I don't need spot metering. Some of the oldies work flawlessly but others don't due to age-related problems. The OP can buy what he likes but there's a bit of a false economy in older meters I'd rather avoid by buying the newest model I could afford.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got a Gossen Luna Lux SBC with case from KEH.com for around $100. It allows you to compensate for filter and use the Zone method, if you chose.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't want to be limited to a pure spot meter for wedding work. When I was shooting weddings, I used my meter (a Gossen Profisix/Luna Pro SBC) in incident mode mostly.

The tiny Gossen Digiflash that I'm using mostly now is very nice, and for wedding work, offers flash metering and fits well in a suit-coat pocket.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spot meters may seem to be answer to all your exposure problems, but in the hands of novices are very dangerous weapons, because the result depends on where the meter operator points the spot, how he interprets the reading, and how much he knows about the principals of exposure.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Something like a Gossen Luna Pro would be ideal, with a 7°/15° spot attachment, also has the cone diffuser as well.

Ian
    Yes, again. But I would add that a Luna Pro SBC model is preferable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1 for SBC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    + & - 1 for a Luna Pro SBC

I have both, the SBC in the UK and a plain Luna Pro/ProfiSix here in Turkey. Both are excellent meters but the Luna Pro SBC is chunkier (larger & heavier), I like both, can use either and still get consistent results.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a thought.... if speed is of an essence, why not get a metering prism for your Bronica? True, it won't be universally useful but it'll be fast and less thing to carry around in fast paced weddings....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With my SQ-A I use either a Gossen Digisix, which I bought new a few years back, or a Sekonic L-508 picked up used. But then, I don't go anywhere near weddings if I can help it!

For most things I find incident readings with the Digisix sufficient. But to get really serious, the L-508 adjusts to a spot from 4º down to 1º, and it looks cool as all get-out to awe bystanders! (I'm still waiting to be asked if it's a video camera.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin