Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,244   Online: 1101

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    I found one of these on Craigslist:
    Sekonic Auto Lumi L-158 Light Meter
    Solar powered - just line it up with the dial... if no sun, means no meter? LOL

I'm borrowing someone's Sekonic L-308 right now and it's really good... and accurate. No more black and white overexposure/underexposure (ugh) from reflected readings. However, I can see how my workflow will have to change. I'm used to metering from a distance.

(So on a side note, does anyone have any links or tips or a thread link that talks about how to ambient meter while on the go during a wedding... especially with my documentary style?)
    With regard to that Craigslist meter, the only problem with that type of meter is that its low light sensitivity is limited - EV 7 at 100 ASA is brighter than many churches or reception halls.

And as for tips - just get into the habit of taking a reading whenever there is a break in the action, and make a point of recording or memorizing light levels everywhere you go (i.e. practice!).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    haha... looks like I just have to practice then! I'm playing around with this L308 and it's a lot of fun and I think I'm start of getting the hang of it.

I see it as being a benefit to me to "understand light", especially after using only in-camera meters for so long.

Hmm... here's another one that popped up. I think I'll go with the lower end manual one (seems very simple, and I don't need meter for studio work) and maybe upgrade later.

http://www.sekonic.com/products/Seko...20TWINMATE.asp

Oh just realized it's... EV3 low point. Not great for low light so it seems, which I need.
    Last edited by dugrant153; 03-15-2011 at 12:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, so I've narrowed it down to about 3 different meters.... I have shot in various reception venues and churches that tend to get quite dark, so I need something that will definitely be usable in lowlight (say 1600 or 3200 ASA at F2.8... that sort of stuff).

Anyone ever heard of the Kenko RFM-1100? Store clerk said it's a remake of the Minolta meters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which 3?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Anyone ever heard of the Kenko RFM-1100? Store clerk said it's a remake of the Minolta meters?"

Really more a rebranding. It's slightly made-over Minolta Autometer VF. The Kenko is nicely priced at around 250-ish. The Sekonic L-358 is another, pricier candidate.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Sekonic L-358 was on my list for a bit but I think the need for the CR123A battery and the fact that it's larger and more expensive than the L308 moved it out of my top list.

Sorry, my top 3 are:

-Sekonic L-308s (new) - small-ish, great sensitivity, easy to use, AA batteries (widely available)
    -Kenko RFM-1100 (new) - very good sensitivity, available new, AA batteries (widely available)... but I'm not sure what kind of support I can suspect from Kenko in the long term if I need warranty service? It seems like an L-358 competitor, albeit without Aperture priority mode... something I was hoping for in a more expensive model.
    -Sekonic L-208 (new) - cheap, small, easy to use with dial, uses small battery, can mount on my Bronica Speed Grip (hotshoe mount) for quick reflective

I figure anything above these is overkill for me, since it's only one of my cameras that needs a meter. On top of the Bronica, I shoot with a Pentax 645 and a Pentax K-7 as my other main cameras. And the latter two have built in reflected meters... (although I may use the separate lightmeter for both the Pentax and Bronica, leave the digital K-7 on its own).

Quick operation is important to me. I'll have my hands full during an event with firing my cameras, and don't want to have to use two hands to operate my meter.
    Also, I realize all of these don't have Av priority mode, but I'm okay with going on Sv priority and cycling up and down with buttons to get the proper aperture.

I think I'll give the Kenko a look over tomorrow as they have it in the store
    Last edited by dugrant153; 03-21-2011 at 02:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

So... I bought one...

Just as an update, in the end I ended up with the Sekonic L-308. While it doesn't have Av priority mode, I'm okay with using the shutter priority and adjusting. It kind of helps actually since I just set the thing to 1/500th shutter speed in bright sunlight (the max of my Bronica ETRS) and check what the widest aperture is.

The L-308 is really lightweight and really easy to use. Love it so far, and many shots are coming out properly exposed. I now even use it on my digital!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Just as an update, in the end I ended up with the Sekonic L-308. While it doesn't have Av priority mode, I'm okay with using the shutter priority and adjusting. It kind of helps actually since I just set the thing to 1/500th shutter speed in bright sunlight (the max of my Bronica ETRS) and check what the widest aperture is.

The L-308 is really lightweight and really easy to use. Love it so far, and many shots are coming out properly exposed. I now even use it on my digital!
    Great! I have one and love it, too. I bought a 558 later for its spot meter, twin ISO settings, Av mode, and memory but don't dig its size. The 308 always delivered and gets used whenever I'm not packing serious gear tonnage. I loan it to a friend who calls it the "anti-chimping device" since the incident readings are usually dead on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin