Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,747   Online: 963

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Light meter options for meter-less Bronica

So I'm the proud owner of a beautiful Bronica camera 645 ETRS! So far, it's quite a beast of a beauty!

My photography is documentary in style and so I'm usually "outside looking in" and not doing too many posed portraits.

I'm currently using a Pentax MZ-5 with a 50mm lens as my "meter" for now. So far, it seems to be doing okay, but I'm wondering if I really need to upgrade to one of the awesome Sekonic light meters?

Given that I don't think I'll be wanting to place a white dome in front of a wedding couple while they're saying their vows, I figure something with a spot meter would be beneficial?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    If you can get hold of a good weston master V then that would be one of the best, great for documetry style photography, but unless you are planning to do a lot of landscape photography, and want to try the zone system then you really do not need a spot meter, Congrats on the camera, they are great to use and not overly heavy to carry, Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something like a Gossen Luna Pro would be ideal, with a 7°/15° spot attachment, also has the cone diffuser as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Something like a Gossen Luna Pro would be ideal, with a 7°/15° spot attachment, also has the cone diffuser as well. Ian
    That's the perfect combination! I was able to eBay the meter, and spot attachment
    for less than $20.00 w/ shipping. It just takes patience, and persistence!

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    That's the perfect combination! I was able to eBay the meter, and spot attachment
    for less than $20.00 w/ shipping. It just takes patience, and persistence!
    Ron
    Ron, these are also great meters for low light levels, very accurate, which is why I suggested one.

The original batteries aren't available any longer for some models but there's a cheap adapter that works perfectly with modern batteries.

Ian

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you like Sekonic and want a true 1 degree spot meter, look into the 508 or slightly pricier(and newer)558. Since film and developing aren't getting any cheaper, I'm not a fan of antique meters, whatever their historical reputation for accuracy, that require battery hacks or tack-on "spot" attachments limited to 10-15 degrees coverage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Sekonic 758DR that does both spot and incident. A bit pricey but I have no regret in buying this meter. I usually use it in incident mode but having an ability to do both has come in handy many times. In regards to metering incident, while you don't want to walk right up in middle of the wedding and put it right up to the bride's face, you can always meter at that location before the actual process or even do it where you are standing provided the lighting condition is essentially the same.

One thing 758DR won't do where your camera based metering will do is average metering and matrix metering. (former, you can meter multiple place and hit the average button) When you do "spot", you will have to know what you are metering and why (unless you are using gray card but then I'd just use incident....)

I like the flexibility my meter offers me. Rest is my skill in using it.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Something like a Gossen Luna Pro would be ideal, with a 7°/15° spot attachment, also has the cone diffuser as well.

Ian
    My recommention also.

Jeff

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I have a Sekonic 758DR that does both spot and incident. A bit pricey but I have no regret in buying this meter. I usually use it in incident mode but having an ability to do both has come in handy many times. In regards to metering incident, while you don't want to walk right up in middle of the wedding and put it right up to the bride's face, you can always meter at that location before the actual process or even do it where you are standing provided the lighting condition is essentially the same.

One thing 758DR won't do where your camera based metering will do is average metering and matrix metering. (former, you can meter multiple place and hit the average button) When you do "spot", you will have to know what you are metering and why (unless you are using gray card but then I'd just use incident....)

I like the flexibility my meter offers me. Rest is my skill in using it.
    Averaged, multiple spot readings are DIY matrix metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agree on the 758DR- take meter readings before the ceremony starts and write them down on a sticky pad/note pad and reference them as the bride and groom go through the ceremony. On averaging spot meter readings, the 758dr lets you log the individual readings into the memory and displays them on an ev or f/stop scale so you can have a recording of dynamic range, or press the average button and average everything out.

All the best in your choice-
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin