Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 674

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Lowepro"Street" camera bag

In the last few days I bought to add to my collection of camera bags a Lowepro Exchange Messenger Bag http://www.lowepro.com/exchange which was on special offer cheap, although I admit I haven't used it yet it looks to me to be ideal for inconspicuous street shooting , and although it has no padding it's very light and soft and moulds to the body, is made of waterproof material and has two padded moveable internal dividers and I can get my 35mm or Mamiya TLR gear with four lenses in it even with the prism on the Mamiya, I'm going to give it a test drive next week because it doesn't weigh a quarter of my Billingham bag.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I have this bag as well and use it for very lightweight duty when I don't feel like carrying my heavy Thinktank bag.

It's a great street bag and doesn't look like a camera bag at all. It's very stealth, and quite affordable too. Makes for great street shooting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks interesting. Might check it out later on!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    I have this bag as well and use it for very lightweight duty when I don't feel like carrying my heavy Thinktank bag.

It's a great street bag and doesn't look like a camera bag at all. It's very stealth, and quite affordable too. Makes for great street shooting
    It's even more stealthy if you remove the Lowepro logo.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Looks interesting. Might check it out later on!

Jeff
    Amazon.com are selling them very cheap Jeff http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Exchan...0787923&sr=8-1 $28 instead of $45.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used this style bag for 30 years or so, and prefer it for most shooting.

I recently bought a laptop computer and found a new version of the Tenba bags I've used. Tenba has added a laptop slot behind the camera section and sells it in three sizes, the large, medium, and small Tenba Messenger bags. Great for carrying a basic camera outfit and a laptop on a plane in one bag.

The Tenba Messenger bags have a camera section with dividers that can be pulled out of the bag while still loaded, making conversion from a camera+computer bag to a computer-only bag and back a matter of seconds without unloading the cameras.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 03-22-2011 at 09:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Can somebody comment on the build quality of the Lowepro exchange messenger, please? In the photos I've seen it looks a bit cheap. Is the quality on par with bags like the Rover or Orion series?
    How thick is the outer padding, i.e. how good does it protect against bumps?

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "other" Lee has had a Tenba bag too for the same reasons, travel with notebook and camera. I ended up taking the insert out and putting it in an LL Bean Bag. This does not have the 90db sounding Velcro strip on the flap that announces to everyone that you are going to whip out a camera. A poor man's Billingham bag, does not say Steal Me.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40308?feat=845-GN1

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't own a laptop, my local pro dealer sells the Tenba messenger bag you refer to but it's just too big and padded and cumbersome for what I want, I have two Billingham bags A 550 and a 335 both of which are very high quality bags but are too unwieldy and conspicuous for street shooting, I wanted to avoid buying anything that could be construed as a laptop bag because your more likely to get mugged these days because a laptop is much more saleable for cash than a film camera .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Doh! My Thinktank Urban Disguise 60 looks like a laptop bag :P Still blends in with all the the other Downtowners, though so I think I'm good Looks more like a big business bag carrying various papers of no sale-able value!

It's even more stealthy if you remove the Lowepro logo.
    Yar. Then it becomes basically a very nice looking army canvas bag, which is in the same price range but not as camera friendly.

Can somebody comment on the build quality of the Lowepro exchange messenger, please?
    To be honest, this is a very thin bag so protection is minimal compared to other lowepro gear. It's quite flimsy, but that makes it flexible and very very light. You could wrap the camera in a protective cloth to make it more buffered against bumps but I usually don't. That's not to say it's a crummy bag... it's very good and has survived my adventures so far But I'll bring out the more serious Thinktank when I'm on assignment.

The padded separators provide some protection between the items in the bag itself, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin