Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,557   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What camera took this?...A small challenge!!

Hi Guys,

Let me first of all state that i am a bit of a traitor. While originally getting into the photography world on Black and White 35mm, i have since been shooting digital professionally for a few years.

However i am proud to announce i am very ready to get back into the world of film. And i wish to, to achieve this look.

What camera helped this skilled photographer capture these images?

...I could be wrong ( i probably am) but it feels like some kind of medium or large format camera. However i would love any feedback from the someone who knows best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The top square image is most likely Hasselblad medium format (notice the 2 notches on left border although these could be added later to any border but I doubt it)

Cant help you with the second shot, could be a cropped Hasselblad shot again...and I'm not real good with guessing image aspect ratios on the net( 6x9???).

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Top image is classic Hasselblad.
    Second image is either 35mm or 6x4.5 full-frame. Notice the film rebate around the edges?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea, second does look 645 now you mention it Tom.

I just recently started shooting 645 so I'm don't instantly recognize the format yet
    although the camera is really mostly immaterial to the quality of these images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG

Here is some biographical information about the photographer, Teri Havens:

http://www.fotovisura.com/user/terihavens

You might be able to find the answer to your question by contacting her directly.

I think, however, that this is definitely one of the great majority of cases where the photographer is much, much more important than the camera.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apart from the aspect ratios of these two images which might suggest one format or another, there is simply no way to tell which camera was used. On the web, a picture made by a Minox or an 8x10 camera can look identical if they're posted at a typical 150 megapixel resolution. For a square negative (which is rightly assumed in the first case, I think) any of a number of cameras could have been used, i.e. Rollieflex or Rolliecord, Mamiya C series, Fuji, Kiev, and on and on. For the second, it's anyone's fair guess including the "rebate" that could have just been a PhotoShop border. (btw, my guess for the second image is 35mm, because it lacks the clarity of the square image, but that's just as good a guess as any other.) What matters is that if you like the look, try the camera, or at least the format you think made the image you like, and experiment. Good luck!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Apart from the aspect ratios of these two images which might suggest one format or another, there is simply no way to tell which camera was used. On the web, a picture made by a Minox or an 8x10 camera can look identical if they're posted at a typical 150 megapixel resolution. For a square negative (which is rightly assumed in the first case, I think) any of a number of cameras could have been used, i.e. Rollieflex or Rolliecord, Mamiya C series, Fuji, Kiev, and on and on. For the second, it's anyone's fair guess including the "rebate" that could have just been a PhotoShop border. (btw, my guess for the second image is 35mm, because it lacks the clarity of the square image, but that's just as good a guess as any other.) What matters is that if you like the look, try the camera, or at least the format you think made the image you like, and experiment. Good luck!
    Dang, where can I get that Minox????

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, what a response. Two hours and myriad of great answers. I'll have a look into all these options. Exciting stuff.

I think, however, that this is definitely one of the great majority of cases where the photographer is much, much more important than the camera.
    Couldn't agree with you more. She is a brilliant photographer, i love the expressions she is able to capture from the old lady. Stern, vulnerable and a beautiful poetic contrast with the fresh faced puppy. Equipment will only get you so far...you need the right hands, brain and eye pushing the buttons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually there is a bit that can be told from the images.

The first is obviously a full frame 6x6. Looking at the perspective, I would say the lens is a bit longer than the standard 75-80mm. So it has to be a camera that a short tele was available for. The Tele-Rolleiflex with its 135mm was one of the few fixed lens cameras that might fit. Any of the SLR's might fit. The Mamiya C series with the 105mm or 135mm would be my best guess.

The second one measures 120x80 on my screen, so has a 2:3 aspect ration. So it is either 35mm or 6x9. When it was made would give a hint as to which. However it looks like the photographer is into the showing 101% of the image to prove she was actually composing it that way, which puts in into the 1970's, so 35mm. Since she apparently had and expensive 6x6, it would stand to reason that she did not use a cheap 35mm, so I will Guess a Nikon F or F2 as those were prefered by the 101% crowd.

Be interesting to see how I did Sherlocking them out. Anyone want to try for the type of film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Teri Havens lives in Marble Colorado, i suspect that communicating with her would be the best way to get the answeres to the OP's querry.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin