Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,175   Online: 1039

Shooter
    Medium Format

creating a web age

Web site

Years ago after my wife passed away I created a photo book consisting of multiple image per page on photographic paper. Since my background was in graphic arts the masks and formats were something I was quite familiar with. When it was finished and bound and three copies given to my kids it represented 6 months work. I then uploaded it to the then Kodak Ofoto site for friend and relatives. But now that site no longer hosts albums (no profit in free looks) I am considering getting my own web site. Analog photography I have an extensive background in , in all phases, but internet and web creation not a clue! I understand that there are web sites that host and help create your own for a nominal amount of money. Figured the members would have better information than the Web ads, Appreciate any help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    One of the sites that make it very is clicpic, and the cost is very reasonable from £35 a year,and they host the site, you can be up and running in a few days with no web knowledge at all, and it is designed for photographers,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a number of options that you can choose from depending on how much money and how much work you want to put in.

Flickr might be the most direct replacement for ophoto. You can upload your photos and anyone can see them. It is not like having your own site, but it does the job of having photo albums for folks to see. Google also offers something similar in Picasa Web Albums.

If you want a stable site of your own that is not too hard to set up, I really like Squarespace. They offer a very robust system with lots of templates and hosting included. The prices are pretty good. You will need to spend a little time with it all if you choose this route.

There are other options that increase in complexity or cost, but I am leaving it with these for now since it seems like you are looking for simple and inexpensive.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry about your wife. Really the best option IMO is to set up a free blog on WordPress.com or Tumblr, in which you can add pictures (galleries) and text (personal stories and remembrances). No programming, free hosting, and fun to maintain, update, and customize. Don't let the word blog deter you from investigating these web platforms. FYI: My site is a commercially hosted site using wordpress software.
    Last edited by ROL; 03-10-2011 at 12:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having a graphic-arts background, you must be familiar with the Mac. I use one and created my website with iWeb in no time (see below) without writing a single line of code! This approach os not as simple as having someone else do it, but a lot more flexible. I went the other route first but quickly got frustrated with the limitations. iWeb was the solution for me. No HTML just 'point and click' and 'copy and paste'.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife uses Clicpic for her paintings. Creates nice websites quickly and easily. No prior knowledge required.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The photo oriented sites like Flickr and Picassa are fine for uploading, managing, and viewing photos. Online blogs (like Blogspot) are fine for photos and commentary on an ongoing basis, but don't offer the navigation like a "real" website. But may be just fine for organizing text and photos around an event like a specific vacation. I think once you get past 6-8 photos for a particular entry, the blog format doesn't work so well.

I couldn't tell from your original post whether or not you want your own domain name (i.e. www.____________.___. Many broadband providers provide web hosting for free with your account, but not your own domain name. There are services (GoDaddy for one) that provide domain registration, web hosting, or both.

Many of these offer templates that you "fill in" with text and photos.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use godaddy for my hosting. You can even get a free site from them, it has their advertising on it though.

Simplist would be to set up a blog, blogging software comes with the site. Most blogging software can also do small websites.

On the other hand, some of the photo hosting sites others have mentioned require almost no knowledge to use, and may suit your needs better, however as I have never used one I can not make any first hand recommendations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    jalbum is probably the cheapest and the simplest way to put your albums on the web.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin