Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,620   Posts: 1,647,731   Online: 826

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks very much for all the suggestions, guys. MSC looks particularly good. I will have a look at the prices in the US relative to the prices here, and then decide what to go for. I will also keep an eye out for good used items.
    Cheers
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That's what I was wondering too. There must be suppliers of vernier calipers in Australia.
    Steve.
    Gosh, now why didn't I think of that?!
    I am sure there are many suppliers of excellent mechanical calipers here in Australia. There are also many suppliers of film, cameras, running shoes, etc, etc, in Australia. And yet, almost everything is considerably cheaper to buy from the US. There is no Australian tax on imports under AU$1000, so often the only extra cost component when buying from overseas is shipping. Often the cost differential more than makes up for the postage costs once the price of the goods reaches a certain point.

So, by starting this thread, I have received directions to some US suppliers from some helpful APUGers. This enables me to make price comparisons. I can then work out whether it would actually be better to buy locally.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I don't know how big of a town/city Brisbane is, but this was the first hit on a google:

http://www.fastenersales.com.au/calipers-c-69_176.html

Bolts, Steel & Tools Australia
    Shop 6, 50-52 Hume St
    NORMAN PARK QLD 4170
    BRISBANE
    AUSTRALIA

There was at least one other supplier in some other Queensland town/city.

Thanks Brian. Pretty funny - that place you googled is very close to me here. I knew of their existence from a previous search for an unusual bolt!

For your info, Brisbane is Australia's third largest city. Population around 2 million, give or take a few. We are halfway up the east coast. Not much between Brisbane and LA apart from a lot of water and a few Pacific islands.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want a second hand one, send me a note, I know of a few for sale in various shops around here. However mostly they will be in inches not mm.
    Happy to clue you in on what I can find though.

I have one of each (metric and U.S.) but mine aren't for sale

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I have one of each (metric and U.S.) but mine aren't for sale
    I assume you mean metric and Imperial!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    micro-tools.com has a bunch of really nice tools and parts for camera and watch repair.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    McMaster and Small Parts are good, but man are they expensive. I order from them at work periodically, but it's not my money

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin