Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,699   Online: 818

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, I don't want to get my camera dirty so I wanted a good tripod head so I can set the scene in my head and have a lovely experience.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've used a kirk on my 8x10 for a couple years now. I wish I could find one for my 12x20. lol

It works quite well, even pointing straight down.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was hoping you'd chime in Robert, seeing as though you are in the right area to have experience in such matters. Now I just need to justify spending over $200 on a head....hmmm
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had a Gitzo Ballhead #2 for years -- held up my 4x5 and then my 5x7 out on the beaches, bottom of the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Eureka Valley Sand Dunes, and so forth. It stayed on the pod out in the open as I fought high winds, etc, or just transporting the pod miles thru the desert. I had it on the back of a bicycle for a couple thousand miles in New Zealand (but the rain probably washed it for me). I am sure I have set the pod w/ ballhead on the ground many many times, sometimes even on purpose.

Never crossed my mind to worry about dirt and certainly never heard any grinding away in it.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An unprotected ball head will be ruined after exposure to sand, particularly wind-blown sand. Likewise, sand entering the legs and locking mechanisms will cause similarly abrasive, accelerated wear. You could try cling-wrapping the assembly as much as you can but sand being as fine as it is will get through any barrier. Maybe invest in a second hand el-cheapo tripod that at least holds your rig firmly but the tripod's condition is not a concern now or after the desert shoot.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Has anyone here ever have a ballhead ruined by sand?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've had many bad experiences with other type of ball-like things and sand, hence my concern. I would also love to know if anyone actually has experience with that being an issue or if I am just being a worry-monkey.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Has anyone here ever have a ballhead ruined by sand?

If you want to see what happens, drop your steady friend head-first into sand. You might be able to salvage it if you immediately use plain water to flush off sand, but it will still get into the tiniest of tiny entry points and grind, grind, grind...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Foba Superball that has been exposed to tons of sand and salt water. I haven't had any problems with it except every couple of years I need to take it apart and clean it when it starts to get a little sticky. I think after all of this time, I would prefer a geared head though. When shooting large format I find the ball head is a little inconvenient, even if it will hold an 8x10. You may want to look at the Acratek(sp?) head. It functions like a ball head, but isn't.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I've had many bad experiences with other type of ball-like things and sand, hence my concern. I would also love to know if anyone actually has experience with that being an issue or if I am just being a worry-monkey.
    Klainmeister

I've never had a problem with sand with my ball head here in NM, not up in the mountains, or in the ABQ foothills, or even down in White Sands (and that area can be brutal). Never had a problem with salt spray in it when I lived in SW FL. Just take care and don't throw the tripod down in the sand. If the wind is blowing hard enough to blow the sand around, you're not going to be out taking pictures unless you specialize in dust clouds (like the last 2 weekends)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin