Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,499   Posts: 1,645,071   Online: 959

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Probably a bad day for my film

I woke up this morning to find a big ol' jug of water in my fridge decided to leak and filled the crisper drawer full of film with water. All kinds of new and old 4x5. The only possible saving grace could be that most were still factory sealed, so the ones in black plastic bags inside should be ok. I discovered it on my way out the door...and here is the great irony of life: The reason I discovered it was that I decided to sell it off at my new film shop for those that like to buy expired film. Cruel world.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try advertising it as "Already pre-soaked."
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If its all still in plastic inside the boxes it may still be good. If you aren't willing to check it out, send it to me, I'll pay postage and take a chance on it.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    I feel your pain

Selling could be hard, but you could just clean it in distilled water, dry it, and it should be usable as new. Using it right away could lead to some troubles with stains.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This won't help you with your current situation, but ....

Film in either my freezer or my fridge is stored inside seal-able plastic containers ("Tupperware" or competitors). That way if something is spilled in the fridge, or the freezer fails, the film is protected from moisture.

It also means no orphan rolls hiding behind the broccoli .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as I know 135 film should always be kept in its plastic container which is air-tight and is factory filled with dry (low-humidity) air so that the film can go in and out of the fridge, or the freezer, without condensation problems. For the same reason when one takes a roll out of the fridge/freezer he should let it reach room temperature before opening the plastic canister.

I suppose your factory-sealed rolls have had no damage from this incident.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got home late last night and checked out a few boxes. The Kodak stuff seems like it will be fine, except for some readyloads. Efke=toast. Ilford seems to have had multiple ways of doing the inner bags, so some will survive and others will make good test loading sheets for students to practice with! All in all, not nearly as bad as I was expecting.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose in the future you will store film on the top shelf of the reefer, not in a drawer.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's the sad part...I don't normally keep film there. It was a temporary holding spot so I could take it into my shop the next day! Someone (ok me) taught me a tough lesson! Luckily it was mostly old/expired stuff that was just for goofing around anyway.
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin