Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,067   Online: 1096

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vans (vehicles) converted for photographic use

In the old days Ansel Adams and others outfitted vans and trucks for photographic use, some going to far as turning vehicles into machines that could even function as darkrooms.

Since then panel vans, step vans, and mini vans were invented, and some photogs customized their vehicles for photo travel, etc. I'm thinking of purchasing something like a Grumman Step Van and converting it for travel, film storage and portable dark room use (processing only).

Has anyone tried this and documented it? I know the Aussies are quite ingenious in vehicle mods, as are Americans, so I figured this would be a great place to ask.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not quite what you are asking for, but I think you might be interested in:

http://www.stadiumnissanofseattle.or...the-camera-van

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did find someone on Flickr, Grumman RV, who converted one to RV use with a sink and shower, so I got the idea of a van conversion for darkroom/travel use.

If anyone has any ideas, or knows of anyone who has converted a van for photographic use and travel, I would be grateful for the information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just hope you'll use a tad different color scheme....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill Schwab posted this vid earlier.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DcAj...ature=youtu.be

I watched it and it shows a trailer setup for wet plate.
    A few features look pretty trick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the documentary on Sally Mann, "What Remains, the Life and work of Sally Mann" there are a few shots of her work truck/van she uses for her work, which the viewer sees and she speaks briefly about. There is as well a large number of shots of her home dark room.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That Schwab piece was useful. I'll have to track down the Sally Mann doc.... maybe they have it at the library.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I once read an article about a guy who converted a step-van into a giant-format pinhole camera! That's what I thought you were asking when I saw this thread title :-)

Duncan

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 25' Winnebago I would be willing to part with for about $5,000 USD if you are interested. It runs great but I don't use it enough to justify owning it any longer.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin