Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,266   Online: 1141

Shooter
    35mm

Unknown formation on slide

Hello to everyone from Goa (India) - just joined the forum. Though Goa is a beautiful place with an amazing number of beaches - it is rather difficult to get basic photo equipment.

I have a problem and desperately need help. When moving a few months ago I left some slides in my slide tray and forgot all about them. Recently, while sorting my slides I found that there were web-like networks of white deposits on them. Is this fungus? I'm trying to get a film cleaner - but this may take time. Is there an alternative?

Thanks
    Sadhna

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sadhna:
    It does sound like fungus. I haven't removed fungus fom film in years(knock on wood) I seem to remember a commercial film cleaner that would do it. Edwal perhaps? Possibly Photographers formulary. They have an online catalog.
    Best prevention is dry storage or dessicants.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    Sadhna:
    It does sound like fungus. I haven't removed fungus fom film in years(knock on wood) I seem to remember a commercial film cleaner that would do it. Edwal perhaps? Possibly Photographers formulary. They have an online catalog.
    Best prevention is dry storage or dessicants.
    Shaggy, thanks for confirming what I suspected. It'll take me time to get a photo cleaner but I've found a method - I'm not sure how permanent. I experimented with undiluted Photo-flo 200, dried the slides and then washed them in diluted Photo-flo solution. This seems to have done the trick. Sadhna.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sadhna-

Welcome- I believe most of our sponsers will ship worldwide for web orders- if there is no DHL etc. in your town, maybe you could wait untill you have a fairly large order, and arrange to travel to a larger city to pickup? Here in the US most of our local camera stores have decided that devoting all their shelf space to competing with Walmart on digicams is a smart business model ( :rolleyes: ), so most of us here are trying to support our great pro-analog internet suppliers. Maybe you could contact some of them for guidance.

Good luck!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sadhna,

After living in Singapore, this is a subject close to my heart.

You may wish to read this Preliminary Report on the Conservation of Slides with Special Reference to the Removal of Mold by Niccolo Caldararo and Candis Griggs.

Here's hoping that all of your fungus is on the base side.

Best of luck,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Matt, Helen

None of the metro's in India seem to store film cleaners - which is quite surprising especially Bombay which is such a humid place. Shall try one of your sponsors.

Sadhna

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sadhna,

The cleaning methods in the article I referred to don't require special fluids - the authors used things like ammonia, alcohol and sodium hydroxide (lye) which should be readily available.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    Helen

Thanks very much - this was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately the Edwal's film cleaner is not internationally shipped. But, common chemicals are easily available. I've downloaded the article. Thanks again.

Sadhna

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin