Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,605   Online: 1175

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I would suggest a tripod that does not gain weight with every step away from the car.

Steve
    Weight is important, because heavy tripods usually stay home. On the other hand, the heavier the tripod the more support it gives. One solution is to get a light tripod and add the weight when needed, as with a rubber foot strap or a hook for the water bottle.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gitzo 3 Series (Studex) Wider footprint and more stable.
    Gitzo is a pain with their numbering. They change their system every ten years or so just to confuse me.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_judas21 View Post
    I'm looking for tripod recommendations. I mainly use a Mamiya RB67 which is about 4kg with accessories. I would also use the tripod with my 35mm SLRs, rangefinders and a DSLR (sorry)

I currently have an extremely light and flimsy tripod for travelling (it folds up to about 35cm long and fits in a rucksack) which is OK for the rangefinders and DSLR but bends under the weight of the RB67.

I also have a larger, stronger but still cheap tripod which has sturdy legs but a cheap, brittle plastic head with awkward knobs to adjust it. It's vaguely acceptable for shooting landscapes with the RB67 but is difficult to adjust and doesn't stand a chance of working satisfactorily with an 800mm lens on my 35mm SLR.

So, I am after recommendations for a tripod that:
    • is strong enough for a 4kg RB67
    • is stable enough for an 800mm lens for astrophotography
    • is reasonably small and light, for hiking
    • has extra quick-release plates available so I can keep one permanently on each camera

I can probably suss out most of these criteria, but I don't know if I should be looking at a pan/tilt head, or a ball head. What are the pros and cons of each?

I hesitate to say this, but I don't really have a limit on my budget I understand that good kit doesn't come cheap, and the time has come to replace my £15 tripod with something that will help me take better pictures.

Thanks!
    Jonathan
    Heavy is good, wood is really good at vibration damping. The tradeoff is the head (and its weight) and how far you plan on carrying it. A lot of the fiber tripods have a hook on the column that I use to hang the backpack on, thus acheiving the heavy part of the equation.

See if a dealer will let you try one out in the field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your advice, everyone. I was initially hoping to get something a similar size and weight to my existing no-brand tripod but after I weighed it and found that it was just 1.35kg including the integrated head, I realised that any of the Manfrotto offerings (for example) were going to be at least twice that.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I went to a local camera shop and played with a few of the tripods and eventually decided on a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a Manfrotto 496RC2 ball head.

Some might say that that's still on the light side, but it is a whole order of magnitude sturdier and better-damped than my old tripod. I haven't had a chance to use it properly yet, but it seems perfect for a Mamiya RB67, or a 35mm SLR with lenses up to 800mm. With the 800mm lens, vibrations in the viewfinder die down very quickly after I stop adjusting the head.

It also has a nifty feature where you can spread the legs wider if you need extra stability in high winds, etc. I think I'm going to get on very well with this tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something used. New tripods are outrageously expensive; and they lose about 75 percent of their value or more the second you walk out of the store with them.

For medium and small format, I like the Bogen 3030 (the tripod, not the head; I always like the 3047 head best), which is no longer made. It is fast, light, and sturdy. I got mine in a thrift shop for five bucks, and, like a fool, sold it for $115 once I got a 3051 large format tripod. I miss it's quick operation, and I will replace it some day.

It is similar in "model/price range" to the 3021, but much more solid, as it uses struts and a rigid center column tube below the head, and the legs and hinges are a bit heftier. It is basically a slightly mini 3036, but without individual leg locks (which is part of why it sets up so fast). The telescoping legs use quick-action flip locks, instead of the twisting clamps. It is a very fast tripod to set up. Right up there with the 3051 in that way.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-22-2011 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I too use a gitzo with the quick lock system.
    Before that I used a manfrotto with 'normal' lock handles. Because i do not hesitate to put it into ponds etc.. they started to rust and where not easily closed. Since i use the gitzo (carbon) it's a delite to jump into ponds....

Shooter
    Large Format
    manfrotto selector program recommends for your use the 055 basic tripod.
    055XDB is the model number.
    they suggest most of the tripod heads they offer as acceptable, so I'll just link the program.
    http://www.manfrotto.com/Service/Tri...hooser/3670788

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your advice, everyone.
    So typical in APUG, after to OP has made a decision and purchase, everyone jumps in and tell the OP that the OP made a mistake. Come on folks the the OP a break! Tell the OP that the OP made a wise decision - like this would cost you something!

Wise choice dj_judas21! Well done!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your advice, everyone. ... I went to a local camera shop and played with a few of the tripods and eventually decided on a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a Manfrotto 496RC2 ball head. ...
    Good choice! You'll be happy with that purchase. A flimsy tripod is worse than no tripod at all.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An 055 is a good choice I've used a Manfrotto 055 aluminium tripod for about 25 years and it's fine and still used regularly and in good condition.
    Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin