Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,283   Online: 922

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: 120mm film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I've actually got a whole list of photo jargon which irks me:

Burning a roll of film
    Souping a roll of film
    'bokeh'
    The Big Auction Site
    Fast Glass (as Shawn said, above)
    Lense (even though as Thomas points out it is a variant)
    'nice capture'
    Xpro
    Sure, but none of them are really wrong as such, they're just slang or euphemism. I use at least four of them regularly (come on, bokeh is the japanese word for blur; I don't see the problem with its use to describe the quality of out-of-focus areas in an image) !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    "120mm" is my favorite misnomer in the world of photography. (...) Surprisingly, very few people say "220mm" but it happens every once in a while you will see it in product list
    Next thing you know they'll be adding 110mm film to the list, which is just "a bit" smaller than 120mm and 220mm...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    What bothers me when they spell Canon, Cannon.
    Ditto when Rollei is misspelled Rollie, and Harman (of Ilford fame) Harmon.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    Ditto when Rollei is misspelled Rollie, and Harman (of Ilford fame) Harmon.
    I've always thought that people saying "Rollie" meant to express affection. Maybe some actually do, while most are just bad typists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I dislike abbreviations in general, I suppose they are just a "smart" way not to check orthography. People write "silo" because they have no idea where they would put the "h" in silhouette, "tog" is a way to resolve the dilemma photographer or fotografer, photografer, fotographer.

The thing that disturbs me more is all the "it's" instead of "its", "he's" instead of "his" (the list could go on) because that shows a basic ignorance of basic grammar rules of the language. You find it now in technical documentation as well. That's sad to say the least*.

Also "your" instead of "you are", "their" instead of "they are", "whose" instead of "who's" or "who's" instead of "whose" can be mentioned. One has to read the sentences twice to figure where the catch is

And another thing is all the commas, dots, semicolons which are not followed by a space. When one writes a sentence without leaving a space after the comma,the text is much more difficult to read fast,and reading a forum becomes a pain,so much so that sometimes I immediately skip the text. Spaces are free, use them generously :-)

* It's not difficult to understand.
    It's = a contraction of "it is".
    Its = of it, related to it.

If you can substitute it's with "it is" then you write it "it's".
    If you cannot substitute it's with "it is" then it's "its".

One cannot say "I loved the camera but not it is price". You say "I loved the camera but not its price".

And by the same token "her's" (that doesn't exists at all) is different from "hers", "his" is different from "he's".
    The girl brought her book. I brought my book, she brought hers.
    Never: the girl brought her's book. Her's makes no sense and does not exists in English. Your's does not exists in English as well. If it's yours, it's yours without apostrophe.

He's just arrived with his car. She's just arrived with her car. They're just arrived with their car. It's their car, not yours. You're not the owner of this car, because it's theirs.

Spend half an hour with your grammar, it's your friend

(I'm not targeting anybody in particular, just being my usual pedantic )

PS Being a foreigner I have a grammatical license to kill, so now don't shoot at me in retaliation :-)
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 05-19-2011 at 05:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are some that completely irritate me:

Blown highlights. What the hell does that really mean? They exploded? Somebody breathed on them?
    Compo - composition, of course. Yuck.
    Dorff - Deardorff, please.
    Blad - Hasselblad, please.
    Shooting - What's wrong with photographing? Or taking pictures?
    Capture - Ugh
    Bokeh - Please kill me by saying it one more time.
    Muddy - Someone describe to me what a 'muddy' print is. Somebody really smear mud on it? Be more creative, please, like 'not sharp', or 'poor contrast'.

What's worse, I think I may have used all of the messed up language above at some point in time.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I always measure is as 5.5 cm...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To add to Diapositivo's mentioning of grammatical errors: plurals made with apostrophes! I saw this on Craigslist this morning:

"I have over 300 camera's, scanner's, and many types of sensors for material handling systems.
    photo's and more info available."
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    And by the same token "her's" (that doesn't exists at all) is different from "hers", "his" is different from "he's".
    The girl brought her book. I brought my book, she brought hers.
    Never: the girl brought her's book. Her's makes no sense and does not exists in English. Your's does not exists in English as well. If it's yours, it's yours without apostrophe.
    The problem with criticizing other people's grammar is that you have to be absolutely correct yourself, in order for the advice to carry any weight.
    The italicized and underlined words above - 'exists' - really should be 'exist' in the context you're writing them. Just sayin' - spend half an hour with your grammar. It's your friend.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Everything Diapositivo mentioned......

Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    To add to Diapositivo's mentioning of grammatical errors: plurals made with apostrophes!
    And that!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The problem with criticizing other people's grammar is that you have to be absolutely correct yourself, in order for the advice to carry any weight.

Otherwise..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry's_law

And whilst we're at it, alot or allot in place of a lot and writing my bad when bad is an adjective, not a noun. And just one more: It's try to (do something) not try and.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 05-19-2011 at 08:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Annie Leibovitz was quoted in a Mamiya advert calling another camera a "Hassle".
    A 20 something art director said Bokeh to me yesterday! Smack him in the head.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin