Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,990   Online: 833

hwv
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak carousel remote focus control

Hi,

I got a vintage kodak carousel slide projector with two lenses. Slide transportation is working., the light comes on, but I can't focus by remote control.
    I don't know if there's some gear missing between the focus motor and the lenses. There is a white gear wheel which turns when uing the focus knob, but I don't know how this should move the lens back or forward.

Please can anyone explain how this should work.

Heinz-Willi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1030744a.JPG   P1030746a.JPG   P1030747a.JPG  

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Heinz-Willi,
    Yes, if I remember correctly you have a piece or two missing. There is a pivoting lever with a spigot on it that locates in the thread of the lens when you screw it in to the 'throat' of the projector. Movement is transmitted to the lever by a worm gear, if I remember correctly (I don't have my Carousel here). The spigot on the lever was known for wearing badly, giving a sloppy focussing action and was a standard part to replace in Carousels. Last time I replaced one (some 20 years ago!) Koday actually sent me one for nothing. I've been keeping it well lubricated ever since. Of your three pictures, the middle one shows a lens that I don't recognise with some kind of rack and pinion focussing system. My guess is that it's from some other make of projector and is probably incompatible. Perhaps someone removed the missing part so that they could use the other lens without the focussing mechanism getting in the way?

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How old's the carousel?
    From the model 600 forward they all used rack and pinion focusing and a lens with the rack on the bottom(center) The projector should have a knob on the top left hand corner and a gear on the left hand side of the lens opening.**left side when viewing the projector from the front.**
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

hwv
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

thank you for your replies. The projector is a carousel S-AV2000.
    The lens in the middle is a Kodak Ektapro Projection FF Zoom Lens 75-120 mm f/3.5.
    The lens on the photo to the right is a Isco-Göttingen Carousel-Projar f = 180mm.

Without the missing parts, the only way I can focus is by pulling or pushig the lens by hands.

Heinz-Willi

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    The S-AV2000 should be as I describe. The Ektapro range was a total departure from the Carousels that began back in (I think) the late 1950s. In the University where I work, Carousels were replaced by Ektapros but this was soon regretted, as the Ektapros were found to be nowhere near as long-lived or reliable as the Carousels. You've certainly got the better option. As it's the 2000, it will also have the 250watt lamp (though you can run with a 150watt if you wish). The 180mm lens is good for shows to large audiences in halls when you need to project from a long way back, but is possibly a little long for general home use. Kodak fixed focal length projection lenses are considerably better quality than variable focal length items.
    Best wishes,
    Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin