Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,414   Online: 956

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Can someone with experience with the following cameras chime in on focus direction?

Hasselblad
    Mamiya 6/7
    Bronica RF and SQ
    Well... during the years I have adjusted the focus on my RB 67 (pro SD) my hand did NOT touch the lens.... since the focus is adjusted by turning the knob on the RH side of the body...and that knob is turned 'clockwise' (looking from the RH side of the body) to focus 'closer' (ie.it extends the built-in bellows). The nly time I 'touch' the lens (per se) is to select the f-stop.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Why the preference for metal over textured rubber? I've never really much cared either way, except that the rubber may in time come unglued.
    Just feels right. After all, I got my first Nikon F way back in 1967.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    On whatever camera, just move the thingy around until the pic is sharp where you want it to be sharp!
    That's what I try to do. I have various systems and haven't ever noticed the direction difference (although I know it exists). I just get used to it very quickly.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Minolta SR lenses focus properly;
    Schneider lenses focus properly;
    Cosina - Voigtlaender lenses focus properly;

Tamron lenses focus improperly.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I converted from Nikon to Canon more than twenty years ago for my personal gear and never really thought about it, maybe because in those days I was selling cameras for a living and was handling most types of cameras all the time it's never been a problem for me.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    The pain of re-learning how to focus was as persistent as the pain I felt re-learning to type on a Qwerty keyboard after having learned on a Linotype.
    What's your WAM with a linotype machine? hahhah

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...006-163300.jpg Something like this?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post

Deviant cameras:
    Pentax--counter-clockwise to infinity
    Nikon--counter-clockwise to infinity

Others?
    I agree that clockwise is the right and proper direction.

But that's while using it, not looking at it! While looking through the finder, the Nikon and Pentax focusing direction is clockwise to infinity.

My first SLR was a Fujica ST801. The focus and aperture rings move the same direction as the Pentax Takumars and most others of the multi-multi-million 42mm thread-mount lenses out there.
    Then I got Nikons and had no problem. Then I got K-mount Pentaxes and had no problem. Then I got Bronicas and had no problem.
    I didn't choose any of those based on which direction the focusing and aperture rings move. It was just destined to be, and therefore proper and non-deviant.

Clockwise to infinity!
    (when holding the camera the right way round).
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't get messed up by the differences in focusing direction between brands. But I do get messed up when I have to use my right hand to focus, like on my Mamiya Super 23 and Universal with the left hand trigger grip. I am used to focusing with the same hand I use to support most of the camera's weight. Focusing with my right hand will always feel awkward to me, no matter how long I have shot the Press series camera, and no matter how long I will shoot them into the future.

It's the same deal on my M645's, but at least I have the option to use the right hand trigger if I use the motor drive.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to agree with 2F/2F about focusing with my right hand. It's just not natural for me.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    I find that after shooting Pentaxs and Nikons, that way feels right. To me, the focusing direction on Canons feels 'wrong.' So, when I'm out shooting I try to keep the lens set at infinity so it will only turn one way to focus.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin