Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,541   Online: 1040

Shooter
    Multi Format

Photographic postcard, dated 9-1909

Just a question...what types of cameras were used at the time to make a photographic postcard? It's rather smallish, just slightly larger than a 6x12 frame from 120 film. Any ideas? I found quite a few of them at an antique shop so I walked out with a couple handfuls of them, and a Russian postcard of Ilya Repin from 1969. ($7 spent...) Just curious about the cameras used...as the Russian postcard is a litho print.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Russian litho print could have initially been captured by any camera. Many photographic postcards were contact printed from roll film cameras. The popular 116 roll film yielded 2.5 x 4.25" images. Other roll films of the age were smaller and larger.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The Russian litho print could have initially been captured by any camera. Many photographic postcards were contact printed from roll film cameras. The popular 116 roll film yielded 2.5 x 4.25" images. Other roll films of the age were smaller and larger.
    Presumably, also. the "real photo" postcards could have been made from duplicate negs of postcard size , with the original neg being of any size from any camera.....I have old postcards of architectural subjects, buildings and interiors, which look to have been taken on LF or plate cameras with movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm...I think perhaps the litho print is from one of his paintings. My husband has made a few lithos (we have one of the plates framed) and the litho might be a reproduction just for that postcard series.

Yeah, the 116 film was used in the old Brownie box cameras. (Awesome camera, btw.)

My question is if the camera that was used was an LF, how were the postcards so small? These are just slightly larger, makes me think 116 negative. Did anyone use glass plates that were that small?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A while ago I found some old plates, some were 6.5 x 9 cm.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum192/...oom-stuff.html

This site has some nice info on old postcards as well. http://www.playle.com/realphoto/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    A while ago I found some old plates, some were 6.5 x 9 cm.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum192/...oom-stuff.html

This site has some nice info on old postcards as well. http://www.playle.com/realphoto/
    I certainly must not have been thinking. Small glass plates. *sigh*

That site, though, is excellent. It will certainly help me identify the cards. Thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin