Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,929   Online: 1024

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    As do I. However, a light meter with an ongoing monthly cost of US $70 (even if it's a shared cost) doesn't appear to me to be one of the best bargains out there, and that outlay is required before one can use the app. Obviously individual folks will decide for themselves about that, and the apps are selling.

Lee
    At the risk of descending into a pointless circular off-topic argument which the internet is so good at, my point was predicated on the assumption that one has an iPhone already...certainly a more reasonable proposition than one that somebody would get an iPhone just for an app.
    As you were....
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    iPhone + 2 years voice and data is very close to US$1900 from what I can find. Then whatever the app costs. That's about US$70/month in continuing usage costs for the life of the device/contract. I guess it depends on what you decide to count and not count.

Lee
    Hey sounds like a bargain to me, don't quite follow your logic.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going to say it is neat that you can actually make phone calls using your meter, but I won't
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It doesn't replace an incident meter or a flash meter or a 1-deg. spot meter, but it's pretty handy, and if you always carry your iPhone, then it's the meter you've always got with you, which makes it a pretty good replacement for a pocket meter like, say, the Digisix. The Digisix takes incident or wide beam reflected readings like a center-weighted averaging meter and can give the ambient temperature, which is useful for peel-apart instant films. The "Light Meter" app is around a 10-deg spot meter and is slower to react than a normal light meter, which one can learn to work with, plus an iPhone can do a lot of other useful things like give sunrise/set, run The Photographer's Ephemeris, perform various useful photographic calculations, measure tilt and swing angles, serve as a compass and level, map, internet, timer and even a dedicated photo processing timer, records voice, typed, and handwritten notes, and even makes phone calls.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm still waiting for someone to write an app so that I can turn my Sekonic into a phone.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to write an app so that I can turn my Sekonic into a phone.
    I'm sure it's possible. If you don't mind an olde fashioned rotary dial ...

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not quite related, but I love the massive dev chart iphone / ipod touch app, times are accurate and the audio reminders have greatly improved my accuracy. i will definitly check out the light meter app, might prove useful for my yashicamat sans meter. Ive to date been carying around a olympus XA to use as a very rough meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Love the Massive Dev Chart too. But it's a starting point for me. I had to tweak the times for how I work. The audio ques are very helpful because I day dream while I process film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes! the massive dev chart is awesome, but I too tweak all the numbers for my own developing methods.

I tried a few of these lightmeter apps before and they didnt work well on my iphone 4, so I just stick to my polaris which is pretty light and easy to carry around too. plus I can throw it around my neck and hope not to kick it with my legs lol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So is this still the best light meter app for iPhone?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin