Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,866   Online: 832

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vancouver, Canada (I also have a USA shipping address)
    Shooter
    Multi Format

pentax spotmeter v - huh?

just picked up a Pentax Spotmeter V that i bought from KEH in EX condition

opened the bottom and the terminal is corroded - see picture plz
    how should i clean it
    i read to use white vengar and a qtip, and then rubbing alcohol and a qtip

should i return it instead - it was rated at EX condition - returning would be a hassle because i live in canada and would have to drive down to the states twice to the post office - once to fill out a form that would let me use that post office to receive a letter from keh if they agree to mail me a shipping sticker to pay for the return shipping, and then once more to pick up that sticker and slap it on my return box - maybe they would mail me a shipping sticker to my canadian address, maybe

also it looks different than the pictures in the manual i downloaded - see pictures plz
    the EV dial only goes from 3-18
    there's this extra thing on the bottom that lets me open up the handle - that's how i accessed the corroded terminal
    there's no scale illuminating button
    the light level meter has the high/low thing - that's from older models i think - is this even a V?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails corrosion.JPG   different.jpg   noscaleilluminatinbutton.jpg   P1030700.JPG  
    Last edited by chij; 06-08-2011 at 06:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chij View Post
    returning would be a hassle because i live in canada and would have to drive down to the states twice to the post office - once to fill out a form that would let me receive a letter from keh with a shipping sticker inside, and then once more to pick up that sticker and slap it on my return box
    Why can't you just post it? Does it work despite the corrosion or with enough cleaned to make contact? If so I think I would just clean it up and keep it.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Corrosion marks are usually not hard to clean. I revived this way a Metz CT-1 which I received from one of those dubious auctions on eBay, described as an heritage, as-is. After cleaning (just using a "brillo" pad with some alcohol IIRC) the flash was as new. It also happened on some other couple of occasions with something at home.

I have often read that corrosion on the contacts can damage the electronic components inside, but never experienced that.

I would write to the seller showing the pictures with the corrosion, and suggest I would try to clean the contacts by myself, but if that is not cure to the problem, I would send it back. Sending the photographs first is important so that they realise that the description was not correct.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own a Pentax V. The Pentax 1/21 and the Pentax V are different meters. KEH appears to have picked and sent you the incorrect meter from its warehouse.

Here is the full user manual for the 1/21.

(It's a 7.85 MB document.)

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 06-08-2011 at 05:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Definately return it. The meter they sent you is an older model that requires mercury batteries. The Spotmeter V uses modern silver-oxides.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Why can't you just post it? Does it work despite the corrosion or with enough cleaned to make contact? If so I think I would just clean it up and keep it.

Steve.
    We've had rotating postal strikes here since last week that could go national and shut all mail down. That's why he's pissed about driving to and fro to the States.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looking at the invoice, it looks like i actually bought a 1/21
    not sure how that happened since i was looking for a pentax v

do you think they will accept a return because of the corrosion. i just picked it up today from the post office, but 14 days have passed since the invoice date - bought may 20, delivered may 31, picked up june 7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chij View Post
    looking at the invoice, it looks like i actually bought a 1/21
    not sure how that happened since i was looking for a pentax v

do you think they will accept a return because of the corrosion. i just picked it up today from the post office, but 14 days have passed since the invoice date - bought may 20, delivered may 31, picked up june 7
    They will accept it. KEH will accept a return for ANY reason, like the fact I just accidentally bought the wrong size filter - no questions asked, but I did pay postage both ways. They should pay postage due to the corrosion but the only way you can be sure is to ask.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I have often read that corrosion on the contacts can damage the electronic components inside, but never experienced that.
    Corrosion on battery contacts cannot harm components inside but it could be a sign of further corrosion inside which might have caused damage.

Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    We've had rotating postal strikes here since last week that could go national and shut all mail down. That's why he's pissed about driving to and fro to the States.
    Then I would call (and e-mail) to get the return agreed and wait until the strike is over. Does the strike just affect the postal service or are other couriers involved as well?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    is their phone number toll free? 770?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin