Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,808   Online: 684

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh View Post
    Just checked out KEH, its been a long time since I went there. I was rather blown away by their asking prices for Rolleiflex 3.5T BGN $465 ! And nikon F3HP EX+ $665! Are these actually reflective of the market?
    My God! I bought a very nice Ex+ rated F3-HP last year from KEH for $250. $665? Forget it!
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Here in the UK, you can pay very high prices for film bodies particularly when described as 'mint' or 'as new' condition. There's a Nikon dealer in London where cameras such as the FM2n and F3 regularly sell for as much or even more than what they cost when they were available to buy new years ago - providing they're in mint condition, that is, otherwise their value does decrease quite substantially.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The EX+ for $665 is actually an F3THP.
    Still, prices are up.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    KEH prices seem to me to be a little schizophrenic. Only a few months ago I purchased a Maxxum 7 in EX+ condition for 135.00. A week later a BGN was selling for 166.00. Today an EX for 199.00 and a BGN for 144.00
    I did snag the camera only a few hours after it listed. I had been checking site every 6 hours or so on a regular basis - REALLY wanted a second one and ebay offerings all seemed very sketchy. Maybe KEH took the quick turn-around as evidence demand was higher than initially thought when setting price...but that's just speculation on my part.

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought three cameras in the last year for relatively cheap money. One of them was an obviously risky bid (heritage, as-is) but it was very cheap, actually I got a partial refund because it was not properly described, it only costed me the shipping cost. Some €50 cured the problem and it is now a wonderful CLAed Voigtländer Vito CLR. Another one was a Canon Canonet with a milky viewfinder and a dent on the filter thread. Got a partial refund on that as well so that the final cost was some €30 or €40 plus shipping. Some €40,00 later it was like new. A third one was a Cosina - Voigtländer Bessa-L which I got together with a lens for a price which I think can be evaluated - for the camera - to less than $100 (not that the camera is worth much more anyway).

If you are not in a hurry, don't go for mint or excellent condition, and are prepared to foresee a minimum of CLA which you should in any case if you want to actually use the camera, you can still find a lot of very good value for money on the second-hand market. I have no experience with KEH, only with auctions on eBay though. I think with online auctions patience and going for normal conditions are key to make good bargains.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the last few months I have seen prices on a lot of stuff head up. Maybe all those people that were shooting LOMO decided they like film and now want cameras that offer more control.

Whatever the cause, lets hope that it is more people shooting film, and more people buying film. Having camera prices go up somewhat is a small price to pay for the security of knowing that film is still going strong.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had GAS for the last 4-5 years (now thankfully controlled with medication) and it seems to me that prices got real low with the financial crisis and recession but have increased a quite a bit in the last year.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I've had GAS for the last 4-5 years (now thankfully controlled with medication) and it seems to me that prices got real low with the financial crisis and recession but have increased a quite a bit in the last year.
    Like many, I was into bingeing between 2007-10 when prices were low--ridiculously so in the case of most medium format systems--which cleared the market of a horde of great quality gear. There's just not as much in circulation now, particularly EX+ or better merch, compared to 3-4 years ago. More people after a shrinking supply only chases prices in one direction. Only a serious reduction in film choices and/or increase in prices will change things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin