Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,656   Online: 1111

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sue for what? Calling you a pervert, or asking you to leave the beach?

I think your within rights to challenge the ticket. It might help if you bring the egret to testify on your behalf!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    I'd really like to sue the bastards but don't know any lawyers. I wonder if there are any involved in this sort of thing? I'd also like to send this in to the news.
    You don't need a lawyer to sue someone. You can do it yourself. However, unless you can show some loss or defamation of character - and prove it, I don't think you would achieve much.

Getting it mentioned in the news will probably make you feel better.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the best things to do in cases like is to contact a local newspaper or two and see if they want to write an article. Some editors are very serious about protecting the liberty to photograph and otherwise gather information in public, and would invest a few hours and a few inches toward publishing a story. Others couldn't care less (though they really should care, given their profession). It is just one fella who got a ticket, and it may be hard to track him down, but you never know.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    One of the best things to do in cases like is to contact a local newspaper or two and see if they want to write an article. Some editors are very serious about protecting the liberty to photograph and otherwise gather information in public
    Of course they are. It's their business and therefore, in their interest to maintain it.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    Thanks I'll contact them.

I called the news and they seem very interested. Perhaps a public beating is what they need to make this stop? Ticket for tripods n now to throw someone off the beach for taking pictures, obsurd.

Brian, How do I care for an egret till the court date, I got em right here and he's not talking?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Orchard Beach is part of the NYC City Parks system, which has different rules from the City, which generally allows tripod use without a permit on outdoor city property by a group of fewer than five people, as long as it doesn't involve setting up lights, wiring, sets, etc., and doesn't obstruct roads and sidewalks. The City Parks guidelines are here--

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsr...uidelines.html

Much seems to be left open to interpretation, if you don't have a permit, but usually when I've been questioned while photographing with a tripod on City Parks property, it's been about commercial use, and the officers have taken me at my word when I've said I was not shooting commercially.

Central Park seems most liberal about enforcement of these rules, allowing even commercial wedding photography, small-scale model shoots, and bird photographers with tripods and big glass, as long as it isn't too obtrusive and there aren't, say, officious production assistants with walkie-talkies keeping passersby out of the shot.

There are also NY State Parks within city limits, and they have different rules, and MTA property has its own rules.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dave, that explains away some of the confusion.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did check the parks dept and city rules, Orchard Beach is not on the restricted list as are some parks in NYC, nor is photogrtaphy illegal on the beach or a permit needed for tripods... as long as you are not comercial nor blocking the flow or controling the flow of pedesttrian or car traffic as in the NYC mayor's office rules n regs. Tripods are considered hand held devices, not comercial equipment, and fall under no permit required to use em.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin