Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,954   Online: 800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

$250 Ticket, amature photog shooting on a tripod in NYC without a permit?

While at Orchard Beach, a NYC public beach, I saw a photographer get a ticket for shooting a model on the sand without a permit because he was using a tripod.

The park ranger said as soon as you shoot on a tripod in NYC you are considered a professional and that requires a NYC permit... it's the law. Is this true?

Anyone know exactly what the law is on this?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

ehf
    Shooter
    Medium Format

NYC permits

Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    While at Orchard Beach, a NYC public beach, I saw a photographer get a ticket for shooting a model on the sand without a permit because he was using a tripod.

The park ranger said as soon as you shoot on a tripod in NYC you are considered a professional and that requires a NYC permit... it's the law. Is this true?

Anyone know exactly what the law is on this?
    According to the nyc.gov web site, a permit is NOT required for:

- Hand-held cameras or tripods are used and the person filming does not assert exclusive use of City property.

So unless the area around the model was cordoned off, I think the police offer was perhaps overzealous. (Even if he wasn't the permit fee is $300 and the $250 ticket is cheaper.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    According to the nyc.gov web site, a permit is NOT required for:

- Hand-held cameras or tripods are used and the person filming does not assert exclusive use of City property.

So unless the area around the model was cordoned off, I think the police offer was perhaps overzealous. (Even if he wasn't the permit fee is $300 and the $250 ticket is cheaper.)
    I would just like to affirm the above comment. Tripod use alone does not require a tripod, and there's a good chance the ticket could be challenged in court. If the photographer is blocking access, that could be a problem. hard to imagine on the beach. I think I would not admit being a professional if possible. In the above case I'd say this or my girlfriend, or because I'm way older than most models, my friend's daughter. Then there's the question of, unless it's large format, why do need a tripod on the beach?

Shooter
    35mm
    The police don't know the law, they just enforce it.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Being considered professional and actually being there in a professional capacity are two different things.

Whilst it might be a park ruling, I doubt that it is law.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just got this from a reliable source about the LAW as written by NYC...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloa...s_QA_final.pdf

I will take this to the Orchard Beach police n rangers to make them aware.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While its disappointing, its not at all surprising that the police would act in this way. I used to go to Orchard Beach as a child, but uneven rule enforcement ( and sometimes complete lack of enforcement) drove us to Rye Beach. And Play Land makes a great photo backdrop.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You should come visit the beach again? They did a massive sand project to restore the shoreline and an amazing cleanup of the park as well. Soon they are proposing a renovation of the old bath house n locker rooms making em into restaurants n businesses. Too bad it's still the polluted waters of the Long Island Sound but you can't have everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should come visit the beach again? They did a massive sand project to restore the shoreline and an amazing cleanup of the park as well. Soon they are proposing a renovation of the old bath house n locker rooms making em into restaurants n businesses. Too bad it's still the polluted waters of the Long Island Sound but you can't have everything.
    Picky, picky, picky! I'll bet that you want clean air to breathe too!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm just amazed he got off with such a little ticket....no manslaughter or homicide charges?!?
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin