Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,569   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Maris for the win. I use a long rectangle of what a lot of people used to call shirt cardboard inside the bag. Because it's longer than the bag it forms an arch in order to fit inside and lifts the fabric off my hands. It's narrower than the bag so I can slip the film and reels, etc past the edge into the bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still pondering how duct tape could fix this too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just covered the edges of the door to prevent light from getting into the room and blocking out windows would be easy enough if there are any. Just takes a little time. But more than effective.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Changing bags are awful, almost completely unusable. Putting a cardboard box and a small towel inside helps, but reduces the already tiny space inside.

The changing tent is an entirely different experience. Mine is a Chinese one off eBay, and I thoroughly recommend it. Still not as good as a darkened room, but a lot more portable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried the cardboard box idea and it helped a lot actually. I thought I would take it a bit further. So today I picked up 4 outside 90 PVC joints in 1/2" and some 1/2 tubing. The outside 90 degree joints have 2 slip connections and one threaded, the only ones I could find, so I had to get a threaded adapter to slip connector to make all three joints slip together.

What I made was an inside tent frame for my changing bag. It holds open the bag to just about as tight as it will go and still zip closed with ease. One has to slip the legs on once the square frame is inside the bag.

Parts List
    (4) 14" cuts of 1/2 PVC [easy to cut off a 10' length]
    (4) 4.5" cuts of 1/2 PVC for legs
    (4) Outside 90 degree connectors
    (4) Threaded to slip connectors [since one end of the outside 90s are threaded]

I will pick up (4) 1/2" caps next time I swing by Lowes because it will help extend the life of the inner changing bag liner from the edges of the PVC legs.

Made some quick happy snaps of the bag with the frame inside the bag, and of the frame and of the broken down pipe parts. I will load film holders in it soon and see how it works out. $ 8.00 in parts certainly beats a $100 or $200 changing tent if it works well.

Note, funny how the digital happy snaps blows out the highlights... guess that is just another reason we still use film ya know.

Still working on that Duct Tape Idea (there has to be a solution there, duct tape and coat hangers ya know that kind of thing)

Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L1041567.JPG   L1041568.JPG   L1041572.JPG   L1041573.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lee: rather than changing wives, I suggest inviting a fellow photographer to stay at your house every weekend. Your wife would then be obliged as a good "host" to have a "guest" bathroom/darkroom for their use. Problem solved.

Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Love the ideas of boxes inside the bags - going to try that myself!

I have found issues with condensation affecting Paterson spirals making spooling difficult however found that putting the reels, tank and bag into a warm airing cupboard for a few minutes before loading brings the temperature of the components similar to arms/hands and reduces the occurence of condensation - whether this is applicable to "sweat" I don't know. Just my thoughts!

Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    Lee: rather than changing wives, I suggest inviting a fellow photographer to stay at your house every weekend. Your wife would then be obliged as a good "host" to have a "guest" bathroom/darkroom for their use. Problem solved.

Dan
    Dan,
    I think you are onto something there. Think Sue will fall for that? I get sweaty palms just thinking about how the honey-do jar would start to overflow in kind from all the weekend guests.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are going the surgical gloves route get nitrile unpowdered gloves. Many surgical gloves come powdered and that could possibly present a problem. The nitrile also come latex free for those who are allergic.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like many other already said, the changing back is a nightmare. It's is almost usable under 'normal conditions' for a quick operation. When it's hot and humid, it's a disaster for films.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin