Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,501   Online: 993

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Changing Bag and Sweaty Hands

Just had one of the more frustrating changing bag events. I load my film into reels inside a changing bag and then process the Nikor tanks in my makeshift setup and tear down bathroom/darkroom. Not light tight in there so I have submitted to the changing bag hell. My loving wife does not want me to make real or lasting changes to the "Guest's Bathroom" so I have to wonder if I am confined to the bag.

Has anyone experienced troubles with sweat stains on film before? I just wondered if I would run into some issues since I had, for no good reason a hell of a session getting 35mm film into quality maintained reels.

My loading 120 onto reels has no issues and goes much faster but today as my hands got sweatier the 35mm film seem to take on a life of its own.

Any experience or suggestions here and no replacing the wife to make changes to the bathroom is not an option.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    is putting a small hand towel into the bag out of the question?

I don't know if you use SS reels or not but after having a hell of a time with 35mm rolls, I started leaving a bit of the leader still hanging out (I fold or cut a corner so I know whats actually been shot) and then I preload the leaders onto the reels before it all goes dark inside the bag. Then its just the ratcheting on of the film I do in the dark - easy peasy.
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had similar problems at one time when I too used a changing bag. Once I changed to using a 'tent' the problem stopped. I made the change really for more maneuvering room. The fact that the sweaty problem disappeared was an added bonus. The only thing I can think of is that the changing bag collapses around you leaving very little breathing room, whereas the tent allows for more air circulation. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Mate I used to get very sweaty hands doing it in the summer and a number of times have leaked sweat onto both sheet film and 120 film.
    It's no problem now in the winter here, but I used to wait until night time and do it without a shirt on outside.
    Sorry, not much help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I push a cardboard carton, the biggest one that will fit, into the changing bag and work inside that. Arm holes cut into the ends of the carton make things easy. Beer cartons work well!
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Wow that's agreat idea Maris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One trick is to wear surgical gloves, hands may sweat but it won't affect anything else.

I second Maris' idea

Also if you are willing to spend some cash, a changing tent is really nice.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look into the Fuji Dark Box. There's one on ebay, now, but it's overpriced (IMO). I got one a few years ago for about $30 + shipping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I push a cardboard carton, the biggest one that will fit, into the changing bag and work inside that. Arm holes cut into the ends of the carton make things easy. Beer cartons work well!
    I advise my students to use a shoebox turned on end. It works quite well.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These are great ideas. I love the box idea. I believe the real issue comes from the fabric laying up against my skin. These reels (SS) have been in my care for years and never give me problems so I think I am my own worst sleazy and greasy enemy, sweat + frustration = hurried mistakes with SS reels.. The surgical gloves may be a good idea too.

Tonight I got delayed after loading the reels so I get to process tomorrow. I appreciate these tips and welcome more.

Lee

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin