Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,451   Online: 1022

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Buying a new 35mm Projector

Well, my 35mm JC Penney projector finally crapped out. I decided that since I'm going to buy one (the JC Penney one was a gift), I might as well get a good one. I think i've decided on the Leitz Pradovit 253 IR on that auction site (http://cgi.ebay.com/Leitz-Pradovit-2...57711155184368). Lol I'll figure out html one day so I can stop copying and pasting

It seems to have everything I need, but I have just two noob questions that I couldnt find on Google (The answers were probably buried under the plethora of "how good is this projector?" and "What projector should I get?" questions ). First, can I use the glass mounts from freestyle in the slide trays that come with the projector? Second, is there some kind of slide advancement mechanism on the proejctor or is that something else I'd have to buy?

I would assume that I could use glass mounts in the trays, but I've never seen or used glass mounts, so I'm not sure if there's something so different about them that would make them not work in regular trays. I would also assume there is some kind slide advancement mechanism standard on the projector, and the seller assumed everyone considering such a projector would automatically know that (lol, even my jc penney projector had a wired remote ).

I know this projector doesnt use the carousel trays, and that's fine. I dont care what kind of trays I have as long as I can project my slides. Also, the Buy It Now price is pretty much the upper limit on what i'm willig to spend. I'm sure a few people will suggest other projectors, so I'm just saying my spending limit is the Buy it Now price on this projector ($200 for those who dont want to check out the link )

thanks in advance.
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be nice to have a picture of the top and back of the machine. I would think is has a manual advance. BUT.
    The IR in the model number suggests that it has an Infrared remote focus

Why not have the seller set it up and see if it goes through the motions? Stick a tray in there, push a button. Doesn't need slides in the tray.

IMO if he's not willing to do that, I'd pass.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lens that comes with this item is a ColorPlan 90 CF. The CF stands for Curved Field, and is designed for slides that are not glass mounted. The design of the CF lens compensates for the curve present in heated cardboard or plastic mounted slides. It does this extremely well, and is an excellent lens, far better than typical consumer lenses sold with Kodak and other projectors. Glass mounted slides would be a complete mismatch for this lens and give you poor projected images that would be out of focus either at the center or at the edges, your choice.

There are many kinds of straight slide trays. I'd contact Freestyle directly and see if they will guarantee that their trays will fit any given model you plan to buy.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Pradovit's are good projectors.

I would buy a Kodak Ektagraphic or upper model Carousel, and look around for an upgraded lens to go along with it.

Here is just one starting suggestion: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ektagraphic-35mm-...item2c5df0b109

EDIT: And I now see that B & H have a good variety of used projectors and lenses in their internet listings, including at least one flat field lens
    Last edited by MattKing; 07-13-2011 at 11:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The Pradovit's are good projectors.

I would buy a Kodak Ektagraphic or upper model Carousel, and look around for an upgraded lens to go along with it.
    One thing that the Pradovit 300 does (I'm not certain about the other models of Pradovit, not having owned one or seen instructions) that Kodak projectors don't do is to bounce the light from the lamp off a special mirror before the light hits the slide. This mirror passes both IR and UV light, and reflects visible wavelengths. That prevents the more damaging wavelengths from going through your slides, lowers heat at the slide gate, and prolongs projection life for your slides.

Lee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Matt. In the past several years Kodak Carousel and Ektagraphic projectors have been just a few dollars in area auctions and resale shops. They are worth the price just for the bulbs. Trays and accessories are readily available. You'll have a system that is compatible with many individuals and institutions. If you've been satisfied with a J. C. Penny projector up to now, you might not need the quality of a Leitz. I have hundreds of Kodachromes in Kodak cardboard mounts and Carousel trays. For me, converting to glass mounts would be insane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In buying trays for the Kodak, They are not all equal.
    140's won't work at all with glass mounts, 80's usually work, but Universals will always work. The box will say Univesal and the tray will be a translucent gray color.

There was a Pradovit that used Kodak carousel trays also. A match made in well, someplace. It gave the Leitz quality and the Kodak availabity of trays.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin