Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,243   Online: 1097

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose favorite does not mean used most often. When I use a filter, most often it is a yellow K2. But I really like the orange G.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Red (or maybe it's dark red) that needs about 20-25x exposure. It allows long exposure or open aperture in daylight and gives a great look with Superpan 200, which I use very often. Portraits become very smooth/soft and under the right circumstances there is a slight wood-effect in landscapes but not the completely surreal tones of infrared photography.

Other than that: clean air. When I have a very sharp lens, I don't want to reduce its quality by putting some piece of glass in front unless it's absolutely necessary.

For lomographic stuff, I use whatever is around. Pieces of glass or plastic, bubble wrap or beer bottles. One of my favourites is a yellow filter that got dropped from a roof. It's completely shattered and full of dirt, so it gives great flare and vignetting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    My favorite filter. Makes everything better.
    Forgot to list this one in my post - thank you for the reminder. I also use it as an all-around and most excellent lubricant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also like the 81A filter.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You raise an interesting point, Moki, that I have often wondered about. Does having a filter actually reduce image quality on high-end lenses?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the filter is of low quality, you will notice the loss. If it is one of the highest quality optical glass, well, you will lose a tad of course, after all, you're placing more glass in front of your optic, but nothing you will notice at naked eye.

I use always the highest quality filters on the market, filters are something where I don't save money, I demand utmost optical glass quality, whatever the price.

I use B+W mainly.

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Does having a filter actually reduce image quality on high-end lenses?
    In theory, it must do. But in practice, using a good quality, clean, coated filter, I've never noticed any adverse effect.

I like to have filters of various kinds to hand for B&W, and to a limited extent for color, but try not to use them unless they really contribute to,or improve, a shotg....for example, I groan when I yet another indifferent landscape with gimicky white clouds and black skies that shouts "Infra-red filter", or an uninteresting night shot with a "starburst x6" on all the highlights.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok, so I have a set of B&W and Tiffen filters that I mainly use. My set of lenses are the M7 43mm, 80mm, 150mm, yada yada. I hear these are the best, but without access to the darkroom, I'll take it as hearsay. Nevertheless, I've always wondered if I should be removing my UV protection filters or not since these lenses are supposed to be so highly rated.
    K.S. Klain

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin