Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,953   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

A strange occurance - nearly dropped the camera

I have to admit I got lucky the other day.....no, not that kind of lucky (gutter, mind, out of....).

I was walking around with my Bronica hanging around my neck. I also had a Minolta 7 camera also slung over my right shoulder.

All of a sudden, I felt it get light around my neck, as some how strap got detached from my Bronica. Thankfully, due to the strap of the Minolta over lapping the strap of the Bronica, the fall was slow, so I was able to quickly catch the camera.

What had happened, is the round split ring had managed to unwind itself off the lug. This has now got me paranoid. I had thought of soldering the tips of the ring, but am afraid of damaging the camera. Does anyone have any tips on how I could possibly stop these rings from inadvertently unwinding?

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try triangle ones if you can get them. Less likely to rotate them self off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never heard of a split ring unwinding, that has to have taken some doing. Maybe put on heaver split rings. Check fishing tackle shop or catalogue, I believe they are rated for weight along with size. I certainly am going to check all mine now.

I agree with triangle shape rings.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's a good point! My Minolta's have them. Might have to find that old SRT that I have in bits in a box and see if they are still on that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You must have been using the light cheap ones off of a key tag the heavy ones don't unwind like that. I agree, the triangle ones are much better.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regular solder won't take to the metal and plating used on those rings. You might just want to replace the rings with ones with heavier gauge wires. They take some effort to take them off.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try a small drop of superglue between the portions of the ring. Capillary action should draw it in and hold them together.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the others have covered the ideas that I would have suggested ...

Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I have to admit I got lucky the other day.....no, not that kind of lucky (gutter, mind, out of....).
    I do not have a one track mind. A one track mind lead one to a particular place. My mind is always in the gutter, so I do not have to go any where!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear it Ashley, I suggest you buy yourself a Op Tech Super pro "A" strap, http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-op...ro-a-strap.htm they have the correct metal clips that clip on and lock onto the strap posts of Bronica cameras and won't come off.
    I know they ain't cheap, but a lot less costly than camera repairs.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Sorry to hear it Ashley, I suggest you buy yourself a Op Tech Super pro "A" strap, http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-op...ro-a-strap.htm they have the correct metal clips that clip on and lock onto the strap posts of Bronica cameras and won't come off.
    I know they ain't cheap, but a lot less costly than camera repairs.
    Thats the thing. I thought that as well, but arn't the optech Super Pro straps designed for posts with flanges, not lugs with holes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin