Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,583   Online: 918

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would tell her to talk to people in the department and find out what they are using and what they suggest.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Good suggestion Jeremy. I would recommend a mid-range Nikon is probably all she needs. Match that with a wideangle to mid tele zoom plus AF and she's set. Leaves her lots of money for the important stuff - film and processing. IE - honing her craft.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used to own a Leica M6 and although beyond stellar in image quality, I would have failed miserably with it as a journalism student. I tend to have a hard time focusing quickly with manual cameras (one reason I love landscape photography is I can take my time). The M6 focuses fast enough for most and even a lot of pj's but in a journalism situation where the action is unfolding quickly I'd like an F5..

Images
    You are sure to get several different opinions on this one.

My suggestion, Dont go Leica. Grab a higher end Canon or Nikon SLR and some lenses. $4,000 is huge for this type of rig. After school, once she is in the working world, she can use her lenses on a DSLR, because that is what 90% of the PJ's I see shoot.
    hi!

Images
    If she wants to hone her photographic skills in analog, that's great! But if she is preparing herself for a career in PJ, I just can't see her getting around going the d*****l imaging route and studying the fascinating topics of file compression and transfer methods.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am an owner of many nikon SLRs including the beast F5 and it offers everything i could ask from a 35mm camera.

But.. it does draw alot of attention and it is heavy.. if these 2 Cons are important i would go with a nikon F100 or the new F6 for autofocus and FM2 if auto focus is not important..

I did use my F5 for photo journalism for years and it has served me very well...even though i dont use it anymore i just can't sell it...i just can't...

I do use a Nikon D70 for smaller format photography now.. and it has gotten my photo on the front cover of the Vancouver Sun a couple of times..

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    As a photojournalist I can tell you, you are going to have harsh conditions and I would not go with an F100. They are excellent cameras but for the day to day use and the beating up that will happen I would not recommend that camera even though I own one.

If they do not care about AF I would find a good used F3. Those bodies can take a beaten. If AF is needed then an EOS1 Canon or a Nikon F5, both cameras are excellent. But remember when you step into the EOS or F5 bodies you need batteries and if they go out you are SOL. That is why I also take the F3 as I do not have to worry about batteries with that body. As far as lenses and depending on the type of work they will be photographing you are going to need fast lenses.

I really do not like the zooms to much as I feel that with fixed lenses I can concentrate on the composition rather than messing around with zooming in and out. I have other zoom lenses but do not use them that much anymore since I have gone more over to fixed lenses. Also a 35 lens is awesome especially if shooting with a film body.

$4K isnít much if you are looking for new equipment as the faster the glass the more expensive it becomes. I would look around for used gear. Now if they change their mind and buy digital do not buy used.

If you can afford Lecia go for it! The camera and lenses are just awesome but it is a lot of money if this is something you are only thinking about doing. The field is hard to break into and very competitive. I wish I never left the field as I am having a hell of a time trying to break back in. Again make sure this is what you want to do and figure out what you want to shoot and buy the equipment for your shooting style. I mainly cover sports and photo stories so my line of equipment will be completely different from a person that covers war for example. If I am hitting the streets to cover spot news I am going to travel very light; If I am going to an event and have someone helping me out I am going to pack a bit more. Again it really depends on your shooting style and the assignments you want to take on.

If you ahve any quesiton drop me a line anytime.

Hope that helped,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PJ student, a N100 would do very well.
    IMHO they ned fast AF, accurate metering and autoexposure mostly.

No need to go with anything else, better spend some $2K in camera+ 28-70 and 70-200 or similar + flash (Metz) + Batteries (Quantum)
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I am not sure I agree. More and more PJ are carrying light meters because the camera are not as reliable as you think. And AF doesnít always work that well. Many times when out in the sports arena especially at night MF is the only way to go as AF just doesnít respond. You have to learn to track and anticipate. The camera only part of the learning process. Back in the 80's when I shot some pro events we didnít have AF and I learned so much more that I ever cold today as I had to learn anticipation and reflex.

I realize each to their own but for a new PJ I would rally stay away from auto meters and AF and learn the trade, as it should be, Old school.

But again this is only my opinion for what ever it is worth. In any case good luck in your ventures and remember you go with a battery camera the batteries die you are SOL and believe me this happens more than you think. I would really get back to basics for PJ work and use the manual focus to enhance a scene, learn to read light and the film you use. You will get to a point when you look out doors with your favorite film and know off the top of your head what the settings will be before you even look through the viewfinder. Learn from the ground up and skip the electronic. But like I said earlier it all depends on your shooting style.

Good luck,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My recommendation would be a Nikon F3 with the HP finder and some good glass. My reasoning is that the camera will take a beating if needed, the glass and many accessories are inexpensive enough and readily available used, and the value of the camera has pretty much bottomed out unless 35mm dies completely.

None of this logic makes my answer any better than any other answer here, but I believe in this path enough that when my nephew started photography school this year, this was the rig I gave him as a gift.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin