Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,044   Online: 1196

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been looking regularly for several years in the West Los Angeles area thrift shops and I have not found any camera equipment worth even thinking about. I do not know where the good stuff goes.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ebay... that's where most of the good stuff seems to go.

I can't find much of value in the thrift shops either!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, Brian, now at least I do not feel like I am alone in this.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are odd bargains, most go at Car boot sales in the UK and auctions, and I guess Garage sales and auctions in the US.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been pretty lucky at the thrift/charity shops.

I usually have to sift through the obligatory junk, but I found a working Polaroid Spectra for $5 and a Polaroid 330 with a couple of packs of type 108 film for $6.99. Another time I picked up a Polaroid 100 Automatic for about $5.00. All work perfectly and will likely be given as gifts to friends thinking about getting into instant film photography.

Needless to say, the "demise" of Polaroid has benefited those of us who know that film is still being made for these babies

I did find a super nice OM-1n with a zuiko 50 1.8 at an antique shop for $15 a couple of years back. But usually I've found the antique shops to be low quality and high prices in regards to camera gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    One of the biggest thrift stores locally gets a variety of cameras regularly (mostly 35mm fixed-focus P&S, but occasionally something interesting). Unfortunately they price any camera they can't identify at $35 including aforementioned P&S units and anything that looks remotely interesting at $60 or higher (not sure who sets the prices - the 2 price points seem fairly random). For some reason they think Brownie Hawkeye Flashes are worth $35 (in any condition, with or without flash), which is a little...ambitious.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

My little secret

Visit www.shopgoodwill.com for gear. I have seen pretty nice stuff there in camera gear and books and prints.
    I bought an original Barnbaum print for $80.00
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our local thrift store has had some really good finds for me.

Unfortunately it seems that they have one volunteer who has experience checking and doing minor repairs on a lot of different things, including photo equipment. The staff there save it for him to look over. He always works the same day of the week, and the collectors and pickers who buy for a living have figured out when that is. So they line up at opening time and scoop all the best stuff.

He's done a couple of favours for me but generally I don't get to see the best stuff.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Yep, very clean 16x20", 5x7", 8x10" printing trays that hardly looked used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some charity shops operate their own ebay stores, I have bought photographic equipment from a couple of them.

Ian

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin