Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,405   Online: 721

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Photo Equipment in Charity Shops

In the town where I work there are currently three charity shops (thrift stores in the US?) with photo equipment for sale.

One has a just a few items, another has devoted both window display areas either side of the entrance to it and yesterday I noticed another shop with about three 35mm SLR bodies and a few lenses also prominently in a window display area.

One of the lenses was a huge thing. I couldn't see any markings on it but I would guess it was 300mm and had a filter thread of about 72mm or 77mm. No idea what lens mount it was. The shop was closed so I couldn't go in and look but I knew that with a price tag of £5 on it, I had to have it!

I went back today at lunchtime but it was gone. I did get a Rokkor 50mm lens for £3 though which I have already posted off to the person I gave a Minolta SRT body to a couple of days ago via the free stuff thread.

This shop also has another couple of Minolta bodies. An old SR and an X-500 - both for £5. I think I will get them!

Has anyone else seen a lot of photo stuff in charity shops recently?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. I have. Us Yanks call them thrift stores and they're a great place to find photo gear. I found an old Minolta SRT, a 50mm f/1.4 and a 135mm lens for only $14. It seems that a lot of folks are dumping their film gear. Last weekend, I found an old Beseler agitator base for color printing for only $5. Just check the charity store once in a while and it can pay of with a photo bargain. Sad to see that people don't value film gear anymore But good for analog shooters. Good luck in finding your inexpensive treasure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bought a vivitar v2000 in fine shape for $5 last Saturday.It'll make a nice companion to any pentax kit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whilst I often see the odd item or two in charity shops, I find it odd that at the same time, two shops have window displays featuring film cameras and a third shop has a few items in the window too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Steve,

Within the territory of Islip, I'm finding a lot of 35mm P&S cameras,
    and Minolta Maxxum series lenses with broken mounts. Haven't found
    an SLR or Folder in ages. I won't be discouraged ...

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that a lot of the shops of this sort get fed from people disposing of the left overs of estates.

Mom or dad have passed on, and the kids have no use for a film camera, so toss it to the thrift organisation.

In my town, the charities will come round and pick it up for you. Some even call and do a regular round every few months.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've noticed that some charity shops are quite savvy about values, they check them out. I bought a Photography magazine and they wanted £20 and they wouldn't bargain, they said the price was set by someonelese and they had no authority to change it. But when they realised I wouldn't pay that much and was leaving there was some frantoc internet searching. The assistant said oh here's a similar one for £12 online, so we'll let you have it for £10, at that price the 1900 Chrisymas edition became attractive

Camera's have been marked at the average/normal ebay completed sales prices as well, but I did pick up a signed Martin Parr book for £2.

I think a lot depends these days on the quality of the staff, some have more idea of how to get higher prices so raising more money for the charities and they seem to have their own websites to build up a data bank. So I've not been seeing many bargains in charity shops in upmarket areas.

Ian

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very mixed results snooping around S. Ontario. Lots of low-end 70s and 80s stuff, either busted or rough, that I wouldn't bother with. Have found functional Ektagraphic projectors, often cased in good shape, sometimes only in need of a bulb, for cheap. Lots of DIY repair projects and/or possible parts donors. Prowling these places isn't something I spend much time doing anymore. Have actually had better luck among surviving small town camera stores eager to clear their back rooms, though this has thinned out as the stores fold.

Shooter
    35mm
    We must have about 8 charity shops in my small town but photographic gear of any kind is conspicuous by its absence. For a small island, Steve, you have an embarassment of riches by comparison. I'll have to move overseas to your place

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience in the States has been that generally all I find at thrift shops is bad p&s cameras, mostly in 35mm with a few APS and 126 mixed in. When 35mm SLRs show up, it's usually in kits with a consumer zoom lens and at an excessive price. There are occasional exceptions, but the return on effort for checking has been pretty low for me.

*Antique* stores tend to have more interesting cameras---MF folders, old Kodak models, sometimes a Speed Graphic---but almost always way overpriced. (I got my Topcon Super D for a song at one, though.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin