Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 679

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    IMO, a lot of the things that APS did or at least tried to do might have been able to be done by 35mm stock with either a magnetic stripe on it (like APS has) or even optical imprinting on the rebate. Use the 35mm format could have allowed Kodak to use only one film to fill both types of cassettes. I also believe that if Kodak was really and truly thinking ahead to today they might have even made it so that the cameras could have been adapted to use a standard 35mm cassettes after APS cassettes went out of production.

As others have said, that magnetic strip and odd film size ensures that APS cameras will go the way of the Kodak disc.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I always thought it had potential for miniature cameras. Unfortunately the APS cameras weren't that much smaller than 35mm cameras for some reason.
    Ever see a Canon ELPH? The Canon, Minolta and Nikon SLRs were quite small. The stainless-clad Canon IX was a nice piece of industrial design and took EF 35mm lenses, unlike Nikon and Minolta models. The IQ from the SLR systems cameras wasn't bad.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    As others have said, that magnetic strip and odd film size ensures that APS cameras will go the way of the Kodak disc.
    And unlike a lot of other extinct formats, you can't buy larger roll film and re-spool/cut down to keep them working, like 828 or 620.

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually have a Canon ELPH. It's the exception in that it is smaller than would probably be allowed by 35mm. Nevertheless the Stylus Epic and other miniature 35mm cameras set a high standard for smallness.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Also remember that APS was put in those silly little cartridges to address a market-research generated issue, of people being intimidated by loading and unloading 35mm film. The whole idea was drop-n-go. But I think that once all the retirees who were insufficiently dextrous or mindful enough to handle opening the back of the camera and remembering to rewind the film bought theirs, that market was pretty well saturated.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But I think that once all the retirees who were insufficiently dextrous or mindful enough to handle opening the back of the camera and remembering to rewind the film bought theirs, that market was pretty well saturated.

Screwing up film loading/rewinding remains an equal opportunity affair. APS sold well in Japan largely for its convenience and its compact cameras. Processing was never as cheap as 35mm. There was also the surprise on pick-up of different prices for the variable-size prints that pissed off customers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I worked in camera stores in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

The "complexities" of 35mm film seem to intimidate and defeat a huge number of people - there was a reason that 126/110/disc films were very popular.

I assure you that it wasn't just marketing.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My store I worked at also had the disadvantage on the pricing end of having to send out the APS to the Kodak lab - we lacked the machinery in-house to process it, so it was not price-competitive with 35mm film. I wasn't implying that it was JUST marketing - but that those in need of that feature of APS were a limited audience. Heck, I can remember having to help folks un-jam APS cartridges from their cameras because they stuffed them in wrong.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    My store I worked at also had the disadvantage on the pricing end of having to send out the APS to the Kodak lab - we lacked the machinery in-house to process it, so it was not price-competitive with 35mm film. I wasn't implying that it was JUST marketing - but that those in need of that feature of APS were a limited audience. Heck, I can remember having to help folks un-jam APS cartridges from their cameras because they stuffed them in wrong.
    Thought the design stopped that...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Never underestimate the power of the idiot to disprove the notion of idiot-proof.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin