Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,926   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Defective Gossen Digisix Meter?

Hi,

I bought one of these some time ago and it seems to eat batteries. The instructions say that it consumes so little power there is no need for an off switch, but when I don't use mine the battery is dead in a week or two. I can guarantee that a new battery will be dead in a month. So far I am on my fourth battery. I should add that when it was delivered, with a battery, it was dead.

Am I right in assuming there is a problem here? Is there something I should be doing to make sure it is in 'idle mode' or something?

Thoughts?

Sadly this item sat unused after purchase for a while so the warranty will have expired...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also have a Digisix and wish a power button. But my battery has power for a half year aprox. at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Gossen battery last a long time, I would send it to get fix.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My batteries (Digiflash) have been lasting about 9 months to a year. Since the LCD display doesn't shut down and there's no power off switch to turn it off, there's some level of constant draw. Are you sure the metering button isn't being inadvertently pressed in a camera bag or in storage?

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If Lee L's explanation doesn't apply, it sounds like it has some sort of short. My Digisix battery lasts around 6 months usually.

It's not very well protected from dust, so it's fairly easy for stuff to get in there. I find I have to open it up and dust it out periodically, particularly when I've been carrying it in my pocket without a case, as I often do, otherwise the buttons stop working.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I quit using my new Digisix after sending to the US importer Bogen twice with the same problem. They would simply put in a new battery each time and return it to me - in spite of my detailed description of the problem each time.

My battery seems to drain very rapidly but in fact if you take the battery out and let the meter "rest" for a month or so it will again work for a few hours or days even with the same previously used and supposedly dead battery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A while earlier I noticed mine would show a low battery indication, but if I pulled the battery and wiped it off, it would run fine for days. I don't use mine a lot and suspect in humid atmosphere some surface goo builds up increasing contact resistance. That's one of the hazards with electronics that run off very low voltages. Yours is far from the first complaint I've heard about battery life though. I have also wondered about accidental turn-on in storage, as Lee asks, as the soft case is very tight and very soft. I suppose for my infrequent use, pulling the battery when it's stored might be a good idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you get all four batteries from the same store? I'm asking because I've had bad luck with those lithium batterries on several occasions. Some I've bought only lasted for a month a so. One battery even was dead already when I took it out of the packaging and it was still years before the expiration date. So if you've been getting your batteries from the same source, you might want to try to buy the next one somewhere else before sending the meter in.

Some of the digisixes do seem to have issues, though. Mine gives me different exposures (by +-2/3 of a stop!) when I take consecutive readings of the same spot (that is without moving the meter). At first I thought this was normal, but I have since found out that this is not the case. However, I've also read that other people had exactly the same problem.

Just some thoughts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I definitely have problems with the meter buttons being inadvertently pushed on my digiflash when it is in the case.

I've taken to buying the lithium batteries at the "dollar" store - 3 for $2.00.

Naturally, the cheap ones seem to last longer than the ones from the camera store.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, thanks for the info. I am pretty sure the buttons are not being pressed and the batteries are from different locations. I will leave it idle outside the case and free of clutter next time I stop using it and see how it lasts. My gut tells me it has a problem. You guys get 6-9 months and my average is prob 2 weeks. Mine is probably out of warranty anyway so if it is faulty it might be a total loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin