Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,589   Online: 744

Shooter
    Large Format

what camera? totally confused

I guess the miss board is where to post this.
    Okay, I recently got a 16mm sound projector. I want to try filming stuff to play on it.
    Problem is, it needs a little work. Rotten cords and the image is cut off on top and the next frame intrudes in.

Back on topic, what is a simple, or even better, affordable 16mm camera? It needs to record optical sound, as that is what the projector uses.
    Having minimal knowledge of all the different 16mm cameras, I'm needing help.
    I don't care about brand names or that stuff. It could be built in a shed by a blind Russian guy in 1946 for all I care. Weight is not a concern either.

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about an Auricon? Optical sound cameras were, to my knowledge, all very professional. It wasn't an amature thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Auricon-PRO-600-...89228463933996
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Auricon optical sound camera.jpg  
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would investigate processing costs before sinking too much thought ojn cameras into this project. I can always recall from 25 years ago the film school guys around uni being perpetually broke from film stock and lab fees.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    okay, auricon. Thanks. I'll be watching for a while for those then before I pounce on a good one like a tiger from a trampoline.

well, I was planning on home processing, and pretty much only using B/W film. color stock would just be too expensive for the types of stuff I currently do.

although there is a local place that processes film, max size format i know they do is 120/220. 220 color negatives, negative processing only (last time I was there) was free, so the film (assuming I film something actually worthwhile) should be affordable, or at least cheaper than all the chamicals and building the special processing tank unit thing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There should be a readily accessible adjustment for properly framing the image. Look for a knob or lever.

Shooter
    Large Format
    the only knobs so far are controls for sound, a tilt knob, and the advance knob.
    I've probably missed something, so I'll go back over it.

oh, and I wanted to post this old idea I found. someone should be interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goodimages/5507298628/

posting link as the link image function wasn't working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There should be a moving mask behind the lens with a knob that moves it. Otherwise, the timing may be off. Someone may have had it apart and didn't time the gears right. I did that to my Bolex H-8. You can watch the film claw and shutter. The claw should have finished it's movement and start back as the shutter opens. Just a thought.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I found the framer. It was hiding close enough to the bulb housing screws that I thought it was one.

About the auricon. Some of the eBay ones have a bunch of electronics that seem to be external audio gear or something.
    Exactly what is needed for the optical recording? Besides the camera, how much gear will need lugging around?
    Watching several on eBay that seem to be failing to sell, so exactly what would be a reasonable price for the camera?
    Last edited by Discoman; 08-18-2011 at 02:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin