Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,250   Online: 784

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I've got bent, broken, squashed, dinged cansiters all over my darkroom floor. They are all wrapped up in discarded black and white backing paper. I suppose I should clean them up one day. I will recycle them when I do.
    I don't need to store pot because I smoke it all in one go

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I drilled flat-bottom holes about 3/4 inch deep into some left-over 5/4 pine and fastened it on the inside of a workshop closet door. Perfect for cataloging small hardware items.

('scuse the alternate technology)
    I do the same, but most of them just go into a box because I am certain there will be a use for them some day...but the box keeps getting bigger...
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These things do multiply don't they? The uses are as many as your imagination. Paper backing gets tossed but the spools live in a box marked "spools".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I store my fishing flies in the clear cans, the black canisters go into a box in the DR for future use when I roll film. I reroll the paper backing and use it to teach newbies how to load a 120 camera, I've even sent them out to people on accasion who request them for testing cameras.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I use my 35mm canisters for pot!

Jeff
    I never thought of that use for 35mm cans.

I keep a couple them in the cases with my underwater cameras for batteries and all the water proof caps that I have to take on and off the cameras when I dive them.

I keep a few on a shelf over the computer for just in case, my wife uses some to keep crafting supplies in, and I have donated some to her that she has passed to her digital crafting friends. All the rest on my 35mm cans go into the recycle bin along with the 120 spools, cardboard film boxes and the plastic boxes that slides come back in. Backing paper goes in the trash along with Polaroid tear offs.

I really hope there is no one out there using these things to make Geocaches, the last thing the Geocaching world needs is more 35mm caches.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Jeff
    So when do we start a "blind canister exchange" ?

I can be in if needed

++

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    With a little internal trimming, the caps from black Kodak cans make servicable lens caps for many of the lenses on Speed Graphics and other older cameras. Years ago I've had to beg the cans from film processers when respooling 35mm film for major photo trips. One can develop a short piece of test film in one. For non-critical work they make inexpensive and convenient pinhole cameras. They work for housing minature electronic devices.
    Thank you for that idea!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Jeff
    A long time ago in a previous century all Kodachrome in Canada was sold "processing included" and came with a free envelope that could be used to mail the exposed film to the nearest Kodak processing laboratory.

On a reasonably regular basis, someone would get the brilliant idea of putting pot into the plastic cannisters and mailing same to another address (not Kodak's) using the Kodak envelope.

Unfortunately they didn't count on the fact that the Post Office saw such high volumes of those envelopes that they would tend to just automatically send the envelopes to the nearest Kodak lab without reading the address on the envelope.

Kodak would open all of those cannisters in extremely subdued light (people do the stupidest things with film) so the staff in that part of the lab would discover the contents of the cannisters essentially by feel.

In that earlier, more innocent time, some of the staff were a bit freaked out by their discoveries!

The RCMP would be called, and in some cases the contraband would be replaced and then the package would be sent along, in the hope that someone would claim the contents, and thus incriminate themselves.

It was a simpler time then ....
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HAHA thats a very interesting tidbit Matt!

I reuse the canisters when I reload new cassettes. My grandparents used to load them up with quarters to buy their daily paper with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thinking of winding backing paper back on to empty 120 spools and Ebay-ing the package to people who want to do homeopathic photography.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin