Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,371   Online: 988

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Slippery Tripod Cams

I have an older Bogen Manfrotto 3021 tripod, and in many respects it is a great piece of equipment to use. BUT, the cams that lock the legs in extended position have a nasty way of slowly unlocking on their own, allowing the legs to slowly shorten, unevenly, threatening to dump the camera. I've tried cleaning the plastic cams with alcohol and adjusting the tension on them, but nothing so far has resulted in a reliable fix. Does anybody else have experience with this problem? Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adjust & put Loctite on the screws?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Had the same problem - very frustrating. Finally got new locks and the problem solved itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should have this white plastic wrench that came with your tripod. It's shaped like a "C" with a hexagonal indentation on it that clips on the tripod legs. It's like a socket wrench. Unlock the loose leg and insert the wrench back of the offending leg lock and turn it counter clock wise to tighten it. This should tighten the leg lock. It's that simple!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tightening the nut on the back end of the cam actually seems to make the problem worse. The plastic part is both a little soft and inherently slippery. But thanks for the suggestion!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like new locks are in order. How much weight is it holding?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haven't measured weight, but I can say for sure that it works better with a compact 35mm SLR than with a medium format camera. But since I need to use it for medium format, I guess I'll look into new locks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a link for the parts. You can also go to Bogen directly. The cool thing about Bogen/Manfrotto tripods is that most parts are available.

http://www.bogentripodparts.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have the black plastic part installed on the lock lever nuts? Seems like I had the problem a long time ago when I lost one of these. Getting a new one fixed it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin